Thread: Free Standing Wood Burning Stoves

Default Free Standing Wood Burning Stoves

School me on them.

I’m wanting something simple to operate, vented straight through ceiling and out the roof. Brands to consider and to shy away from.
    For now I’m not considering it as a primary heat source, but needs to be able to comfortably heat 1200 sq ft and if it has the option of a built in cooktop that would be an added bonus.

Also not opposed to buying used if someone has a decent one they’re getting rid of.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I found an old fireplace insert in great shape at a local scrap yard several years ago and bought it for $75, fabricated a flu for it, added a blower motor and it was good to go . I used double wall insulated pipe through the wall and never have had a heat issue, triple wall probably would be better but I've had no problems with over heating. I cook on it regularly with cast iron, mostly stews ,beans and the like but I have cooked breakfast on it many times, especially when the power is out. Mine heats a 25X50 foot shop with 12' ceilings with ease while running two ceiling fans on low to circulate the air . It might not be cosmetically appealing for a house but works great where I use it.

I have a US stove 1200 square foot unit from Tractor Supply and don’t have any complaints. I can fill it up before bed and there’s a pile of hot coals in the morning. It’s in a 900 square foot house and does a good job but I’d get the size up for a bigger building. The only minor drawback to the one I have is I can’t use wood much more than 16” long.

They come with a blower but I’ve never hooked it up.
    Last edited by BowfinClassic; 06-03-2021 at 09:05 PM.

We heated with wood for over 30 years. Come see me
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by BowfinClassic View Post
    I have a US stove 1200 square foot unit from Tractor Supply and don’t have any complaints. I can fill it up before bed and there’s a pile of hot coals in the morning. It’s in a 900 square foot house and does a good job but I’d get the size up for a bigger building. The only minor drawback to the one I have is I can’t use wood much more than 16” long.

They come with a blower but I’ve never hooked it up.
    Thanks,

I have eyeballed those online a time or two from places such as TSC and Northern Tool but have yet to have a good look at them in person. Was wondering if they were “gimmicky”, glad to hear they are not and they seem fairly affordable priced.
    I think I’d prefer a cast iron stove but have not written off this type just yet

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    We heated with wood for over 30 years. Come see me
    I’ll holler at you tomorrow

I’m running a zero clearance fireplace in my house. Not exactly what you are asking about but it’s a box with blowers and a pipe out the roof. I just can’t cook breakfast on it. Now Osburn does make what you’re looking for and I’d argue that their customer service is second to none. When I ordered my fireplace I talked to the guy several times and he broke it down easy on how I was to run my pipe, etc.

https://www.osburnwoodstoves.com/Fre...ves_s/1477.htm
    Last edited by CreekGeek; 06-03-2021 at 09:56 PM.

Lucked up and found a used one with the glass door in great condition that an older couple was selling

Any folks on here know of some local places in the upstate that sell the double-walled stove pipe?

I know White Jones in Anderson can order it, from searching online it looks like it’s expensive enough that it may be worth price checking 2 or 3 places before purchasing. I’d prefer to walk into a store and talk to a knowledgeable person behind the counter instead of ordering online
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 10-14-2021 at 08:57 PM.

Glad you found one. Call Fireplace, Grills and More in Augusta. I got my stove from them, along with the pipe, and it is expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Hamm's Hardware in Prosperity. Thank me later
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

How much are you looking to spend would be my first question..... I would figure out how much you want to spend and go from there.... If you want a decent used one I would run by buck stove in Greenwood as they refurbish some old ones they get on trade ins. They normally have those priced pretty well or will at least haggle on them some.

Things to consider but you prolly already know about going through an attic space, roof flashing...

Easy thing I would do to get an easy list of what all you would need to go from stove to roof.... If you see a stove you like ask for a quote with all the pipe from Buck stove and you can always get the pipe and everything else from another place. They are a little high on all that. They do have some really good new ones but they are not cheap models. They normally have a handful of used ones so shouldn't be a problem.

I use to work at Buck Stove in Greenwood back during college and they have the pipe in store most of the time and most of the guys are pretty knowledgeable. MOST of them....
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Stoll in abbeville

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    Stoll in abbeville
    They make some good stuff as well!
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965