Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Conserving Charleston Harbor land

Currently zoned for 4.8 units per acre. None of it looks wet. Holdup for development in city of Charleston right now is stormwater dept. this site would be one of the easier ones to get permits on in my opinion.

Prime location for a cluster development.

I take it this is the parcel? Looks like a great place to build much needed dock space in Charleston in an already well developed area instead of a new marina up some wild creek owned by, well, lets just call it an LLC...

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Is this the same group that has managed quail, whitebass, and Turkeys? asking for a friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

It would need 1400 ft of dock to reach 10 ft deep and a lot of continual dredging.

The previous dock was 250 ft and was lost to a hurricane.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Is this the same group that has managed quail, whitebass, and Turkeys? asking for a friend
    Ahh we calling it what it is then?

From the labels on the image it looks like they have "managed" to get our conservative representation to spend tax dollars securing them the rest of a nice point that they already have most of. Hope there was a good trade somewhere in the sausage...

PL, how much Fed.gov money can you hope to get for DNR and the Conservation Bank?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Ahh we calling it what it is then?

From the labels on the image it looks like they have "managed" to get our conservative representation to spend tax dollars securing them the rest of a nice point that they already have most of. Hope there was a good trade somewhere in the sausage...
    Exactly what it is.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

That reserve fund is never depleted, it is over taxation for legislators play money. My former Senator wife received $1 million for her play ground and his going away present of course he sold the lumber to her foundation.

Wade Hampton and John Kershaw fought this coastal spending centuries ago.

I have never met a SC legislators with any knowledge of the SC Constitution.

Why don’t the fucking morons making these decisions let the people who are paying taxes decide how and where to spend money, I can’t even go on a decent draw hunt every couple of years because DNR is so mismanaged and can’t manage waterfowl worth a flip, but yet we can throw this kind of money around to “conserve” a piece of property just because it’s a beautiful place?? DT if you want to conserve it, spend your own damn money, not the taxpayers.

^preach.

We have bridges that may fail. We have dumb ass concrete roads and a limit on blue catfish.

And deer tags. Don't forget deer tags.

BT2 brought out daddy Kershaw

The article says "The land would be purchased by DNR, which already owns adjoining research site property where the pre-Revolutionary Fort Johnson once stood.
    The state’s parks and tourism agency would manage the public access and rent the buildings for events, legislators said."

PRT and DNR are not the same thing. If PRT is involved it would be managed more like a state park which is totally different than a DNR property. One agency owning it and another managing it when they don't have the same goals could get a little sideways...

Or it could just sit with access restricted like the rest of the thousands of acres Charleston county parks has on Edisto and in Ravenel. Except for the select few of course.

How did the nuns get it? Donated?
    Double Secret Probation Officer

DT will be here shortly to tell y’all if you don’t like it run for office ya damn self.......

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    DT will be here shortly to tell y’all if you don’t like it run for office ya damn self.......
    Do you have to wear those gay bedazzled jeans if you’re elected?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    It is an interesting dicotomy. Why give this task to a developer/conservationist? It is simple. I chair the sub-committee that is in charge of DNR and Conservation bank budget.

I will sleep good knowing we preserved this beautiful property. Quality of life matters as much as money. My decision was no different than the joy we get from managing ducks or an offshore fishing trip. It is not easy to justify the cost to everyone.
    I get trying to conserve property. The problem I have with this one is that it's only 23 acres on an island that's 99% developed. While it is a beautiful property, in the grand scheme of things you're not conserving much of anything. Go spend $23MM on 5,000 acres if you really want to preserve a chunk of SC dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    It would need 1400 ft of dock to reach 10 ft deep and a lot of continual dredging.

The previous dock was 250 ft and was lost to a hurricane.
    And no dock can extend beyond the channel side of Ft Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by swampknob View Post
    Or it could just sit with access restricted like the rest of the thousands of acres Charleston county parks has on Edisto and in Ravenel. Except for the select few of course.
    Jesus, I hope it's severely restricted access...the last thing James Island needs is a passel of Goose Crecians and Summervillians swarming that park for their "right" to access the Charleston harbor...