Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Conserving Charleston Harbor land

Default Conserving Charleston Harbor land

SC lawmakers make surprise bid to buy 23 waterfront acres on Charleston Harbor from nuns
    • By Seanna Adcox sadcox@postandcourier.com

The Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy convent property is located on Fort Johnson Road and consists of 23 acres and 750 feet of waterfront on Charleston Harbor.

COLUMBIA — South Carolina lawmakers are poised to buy a 23-acre property on James Island that has operated as a Catholic convent for decades, saying it’s a rare chance to preserve a pristine plot right on Charleston Harbor.

The House Ways and Means Committee advanced a budget proposal June 2 that includes $23.25 million to buy waterfront property owned by the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy — an isolated plot nestled between the water and surrounding suburban housing.
    The land includes 750 feet of coastline, a chapel and dorms for the nuns, said Rep. Phillip Lowe, R-Florence, who made the proposal as subcommittee chairman for the Department of Natural Resources’ budget.

“There are 23 acres of pristine land, the most beautiful scenery there, with trees overlooking the harbor,” said Lowe, who toured the property last month.

“This is good news for South Carolina,” he added. “As fast as we’re growing, we need to preserve things in Charleston and those heavy-growth areas, and this is the last place I could find on the harbor.”
    SC may buy waterfront land
    The state budget proposal heading to the House floor for debate next week includes $23 million to buy 23 acres here for public access and rentals.

Legislators envision the property on a bluff being an ideal place for weddings, educational field trips, conferences and residents just looking to enjoy the scenery on walking and bicycle trails.

The land would be purchased by DNR, which already owns adjoining research site property where the pre-Revolutionary Fort Johnson once stood.
    The state’s parks and tourism agency would manage the public access and rent the buildings for events, legislators said.

“The sisters, unfortunately, were elderly and put it on the market for development,” House Ways and Means Chairman Murrell Smith, R-Sumter, told his committee.

“We’ve saved it from development and have a pristine piece of property for South Carolinians to own,” he added.
    The property went out for bid several weeks ago, and many developers had already shown interest before legislators got involved, Smith said.

It’s far from a done deal as the proposal must make it to the final state budget that’s being ironed out this month in advance of the July 1 start of the new fiscal year. In the meantime, the land remains on the market.

“We’re competing with others,” said state Sen. Chip Campsen, R-Isle of Palms. “If we don’t acquire this, it will end up being developed pretty intensively. And God’s not making any more coastal real estate.” Campsen made his colleagues aware of the buying opportunity.
    Combining the 23 acres with other property owned by DNR at Fort Johnson used for marine labs will make more than 4,000 feet of peninsula shoreline available to the public for posterity, he said.

A phone message left with the sisters on June 2 was not immediately returned. But legislative leaders said the 192-year-old religious congregation, which moved to the property after World War II, would prefer the land be preserved rather than developed.

That will include conserving buildings that developers would likely want to demolish and telling visitors about the nuns’ work.
    “They’ve done amazing things,” Campsen said, noting the sisters’ legacy includes operating an orphanage, caring for Confederate and Union troops during the Civil War, and founding in 1882 what eventually became Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital.

Smith said he will push for the state to take advantage of any other similar preservation opportunities that might arise.
    “I think it’s very important we preserve land for the average South Carolinian to be able to enjoy those resources,” he said. “Unfortunately, now as beach property and rental property go up, it’s tough for people to go and vacation at the beach like we once did 20, 30, 40 years ago.
    “This will be here for centuries of South Carolinians to enjoy the beauty this state has,” he continued.
    The House’s budget-writing committee unanimously approved including the purchase in its $10.7 billion spending package, which the full House will debate next week.
    Legislators are holding several short, limited sessions this month to wrap up work on the state budget.
    Other differences with the Senate’s version include a 3 percent cost-of-living raise for state employees. Senators provided a 2 percent raise across all agencies in the plan it advanced five weeks ago.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Well that’s money well spent. They do probably need some more parking area for all those broke down ass boats and trailers .

So the state is getting into the wedding chapel business now?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Unreal...

I know JABIII will disagree but I like the idea.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Better than the alternative

I have worked on their old dock in years past- The Sisters recently upgraded the property with a big money seawall and new dock( I didn't get the job)--if this becomes a public use area with the new dock open for fishing etc- the state should buy it.
    It will need and should have a handicap beach access ramp installed similar to the one at Sunrise park by the James Island yacht club.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I know JABIII will disagree but I like the idea.
    A million taxpayer bucks an acre to the Catholic Church for a 23 acre parcel to be given to and managed by the SCDNR? What's not to love?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    A million taxpayer bucks an acre to the Catholic Church for a 23 acre parcel to be given to and managed and RUINED by the SCDNR? What's not to love?
    this is what you meant right? Hopefully they keep it nice and allow it's use for the public instead of letting it get developed.
    Last edited by Phone Man; 06-03-2021 at 08:05 AM.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

A million taxpayer bucks an acre to the Catholic Church for a 23 acre parcel to be given to and managed by the SCDNR? What's not to love?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

What does the Constitution allow?

Court houses and prisons. Lawmakers are not buying its our 7.5% income tax and sales tax.

I’d rather the state buy it than some land developer. I grew up down the rd from there and so did my wife. I use to think that place was awesome as a kid. I hope it works out!
    867-5309

I wouldn't say that it will be "ruined", and there is certainly value in conservation, right? We can all agree on that. $23m is still $23m. That is a lot of cheddar for 23 acres and the State should absolutely not be "competing" with American businessmen for tracts of this nature.

Hell, that is 23 tier 1 Freeman boats that the DNR could buy and operate to take you all on a lottery drawn marlin fishing adventure ever other year...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    What does the Constitution allow?

Court houses and prisons. Lawmakers are not buying its our 7.5% income tax and sales tax.
    I'd be interested in knowing if Pittman-Robertson funds are being used.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

How much kick-back y’all get from this over-inflated mis-appropriation of funds. Doesn’t sound like this is anything more than another way to line those coffers.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

So, just to be sure I’m following this correctly-

SCDNR doesn’t have the funding or manpower to properly manage the properties they already own and/or manage, but yet magically has $23MM to purchase this property and properly manage it?

Quote Originally Posted by MDman View Post
    So, just to be sure I’m following this correctly-

SCDNR doesn’t have the funding or manpower to properly manage the properties they already own and/or manage, but yet magically has $23MM to purchase this property and properly manage it?
    More like they are tragically mismanaging some of the very best land that this state has to offer because their funding has been slashed by the General Ass over and over again instead of being raised to keep up with inflation.

This is like the General Assembly throwing a drowning man a cinder block and telling him to build a pier...

I wouldn't say that it will be "ruined", and there is certainly value in conservation, right? We can all agree on that. $23m is still $23m. That is a lot of cheddar for 23 acres and the State should absolutely not be "competing" with American businessmen for tracts of this nature.

Hell, that is 23 tier 1 Freeman boats that the DNR could buy and operate to take you all on a lottery drawn marlin fishing adventure ever other year...
    Agree 100%. I don't like the state owning land and I especially don't like them owning extremely high end, high value land. I hate seeing land being developed and ruining the aesthetics, but I'm a capitalist, so I accept that is what happens sometimes.

Anyone still questioning if Lowe is not a RINO?

I love development on the coast, half of my evil corporations revenues is coastal development.

Lawmakers can hug a tree in Orangeburg.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing if Pittman-Robertson funds are being used.
    Nope just taxpayers this time.