Thread: Land Cruiser Oxygen Sensors

Default Land Cruiser Oxygen Sensors

Have a 2000 LC with 170K on it. An O2 sensor went bad recently (Bank 2, Sensor 1(?)). Do these tend to go bad relatively close together such that I should go ahead and replace all four now, or just replace them as they crap out?

Will running with a bad one have a long term negative effect on the computer module? If so, any idea how long that would take? Or is the only effect a possible reduction in fuel mileage?

Thanks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I've just replaced them as they crapped out- I've had no ill effects that I can tell with driving on a 'bad' one. Need it to pass a vehicle inspection here in NC
    Cravin' me some boiled p-nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Tater
    Y’all don’t know shit about fuck.

Replace as they fail. But replace them sooner than later- short term can throw off gas mileage, long term can have systemic effects. Anything that affects the fuel-oxygen ratio of your engine can cause big problems down the road (as in going years without fixing). Plus they are cheap and easy to replace yourself!
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

As they fail, sometimes they go out one after another, most of the time it’s a while.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by abarill View Post
    Replace as they fail. But replace them sooner than later- short term can throw off gas mileage, long term can have systemic effects. Anything that affects the fuel-oxygen ratio of your engine can cause big problems down the road (as in going years without fixing). Plus they are cheap and easy to replace yourself!
    I've probably gone longer than I should have, but will get after it now. Guess I'd best get one on order.

Delmer, fortunately no inspections down here... yet... but the 'Damn Yanks' are coming in droves the past few years and all talk about 'fixing things here'. I keep telling them to go fix all the crap they messed up in their home States, but it isn't working.

Thanks, Saltydog.
    ~ George Washington

My experience with Toyota is to pony up and buy the denso replacement which is the OEM part.

Tried to go Bosch and save a few bucks on a 4Runner, learned the hard way. The denso was twice as much unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post
    My experience with Toyota is to pony up and buy the denso replacement which is the OEM part.

Tried to go Bosch and save a few bucks on a 4Runner, learned the hard way. The denso was twice as much unfortunately.
    Damn, sorry to hear that. What is it that you 'learned' about the Bosch part vs Denso?
    ~ George Washington

I'd go with Rexcraft sensors. Can take a dent and still sense oxygen good as fuck

<≤<≤pro tip.

Most of the time an Oxygen sensor code is not a bad sensor but rather the sensor doing it’s job and reports to the PCM.

Lean/rich is not a bad sensor
    Fuel trim is not a bad sensor

Open or short is a bad sensor
    Heater circuit is a bad sensor
    More fuel = more boost!!

Replaced 2 bosch ones back to back under warranty through parts store. Paid double for the Denso after posting questions on a 4Runner forum and problem was fixed. Only thing I noticed different was the size of the “probe” was tiny on the Bosch vs. the much larger probe on the Denso. No idea what the actual problem was with the first 2. I’ve since just bought Denso stuff from there on when possible. Probably been wasting money too.

Can’t remember what code it was it was so long ago.
    Last edited by wdhigh; 05-25-2021 at 04:06 PM.

ih8mud.com

if you have not checked that out, I would.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    ih8mud.com

if you have not checked that out, I would.
    Thanks, Duck Nitz. I’ve registered and will check it out more on a larger screen tomorrow.
    ~ George Washington

If you don’t feel like searching the site, type your question into google and add “+ IH8MUD”. You’ll likely get multiple threads with answers.