Thread: Rod Advice

Default Rod Advice

OK, serious question, so I expect a 10% rate of helpful comments in return.

Looking for a new rod to pair with a Penn 6000 series spooled with 500 yds of 40#. Typically I would just get a 10' Mod/Med Fast or something of the sort and be done with it because it'sprimarilyfor beach or shark fishing.

The wild card is that I am going on a surfing boat trip this summer for 10 days in the Maldives. I'm taking this setup with to sight cast to fish for dinners. May troll a cedar plug behind if we are going show enough from one spot to another as well.

I need something that isn't cheap, but not high dollar. Something trustworthy that won't break the bank. Aaaaand... Go!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

You'll prob have to get a 3pc travel rod and carry it on the plane with you. For your 10' surf rod get a tsunami airwave elite

Ugly Stick tiger lite- everyone has been been using and abusing them since they came out- designed for offshore jigging so they will take the abuse. I have caught goliaths, big sharks, permit, bunches of bottom fish of all types, dolphin, sails and gators on them, hooked but not landed monster tarpon on one recently. Ship it ahead and then home- or give it to your guide when done- under $100 anywhere

Another vote for Ugly Stick Tiger Lite
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Look at St Croix Tidemaster travel rods. Top quality and not too expensive. Bonus, Made in USA.

Bought a set of spinfisher 6500s with matching rods...broke one first tarpon trip on a big shark, not abusing it and it should have held up to the pressure we were putting on the shark. Penn replaced no question.

Bought a pair of fierce III 6500s and the tiger lites for them....best rods I have bought for the money in a long time. 7' do it all boat rods.

This is not the serious answer you're looking for but this woman knows alot about rods.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your help fellas. I wound up going with the ugly stik tiger light in 6'6" medium heavy and I think it'll be perfect.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk