Thread: Paging Highstrung

Default Paging Highstrung

Robb Report

The Maldives Is Holding the World’s First Auction of Private Islands
    Mark Ellwood

Tue, May 25, 2021, 4:00 PM·3 min read

If you’ve ever wanted your own private island, now’s the time. The Maldives government is auctioning 50-year leases to 16 islands, and island clusters, scattered throughout its atolls.

But don’t expect to make like Dr Evil and turn one into an enormous private estate—these shards of paradise are being auctioned off with the express condition that successful bidders must commit to building a resort of some kind on the land.

It’s a canny move, aimed at helping the nation rebound after the pandemic’s severe impact on its tourism-driven economy. Successful bidders have 36 months to start construction on any project, which front loads the uplift, and will also be encouraged to decamp to the country themselves. Spend at least $250,000 as an investor like this, and you’re eligible for a five-year resident visa, so you can work from paradise long-term.

Bids will be assessed not solely on raw dollars, but also on other aspects of any proposal, including the gender parity of staffing and carbon impact of the development itself. Any resort must also be sensitive to its surroundings, per Ali Shinan, the director of the planning section of the Ministry of Tourism. “No buildings can be built above tree height, and the built up area [on any atoll] is capped at 30 percent,” he told Robb Report. Trees can’t be felled during the build-out without written permission from his department—and if one is, two must be planted in its place. Infrastructure must be built five meters, or around 16 feet, inward from the vegetation line to preserve the existing environment.

If you’re tempted to place a bid, you have until June 6 to obtain the relevant documents—contact the Ministry of Tourism at planning@tourism.gov.mv. International bidders must pay a non-refundable fee of $3,250 to receive that application, and must place bids on their favored locations by 10 am local time on June 10.

Each island listed comes with a minimum number of beds for any resultant resort, plus an indication whether land reclamation is possible—a common technique in this island nation, which often expands its footprint by draining coastal areas to turn the seabed into livable land. There’s no minimum bid for any given site, but certain islands are expected to fetch the higher prices. Among them, look at the cluster in the Thaa atoll, one of the larger parcels at 42 acres, and Laamu, another group where each of the islands comes with land reclamation rights. Meemu atoll is also premium, as it’s close to the capital city of Malé where the international airport is located.

If you’re an underbidder on this batch, though, don’t worry. The country has plans to auction off another dozen or so islands soon.

I'm wishing I was there now

20210526_124528.jpg

HS is out. Building the required "resort" means guests and he has already said he doesn't enjoy company.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Want to go something fierce, can't stand the thought of a long ass flight like that though.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

There are probably pirates not far from there.. I could see myself chillin on the beach with like a linen shirt, probably a thong... eating tropical fruits and exotic endangered shellfish and some f'n peon rolls up with a sks demanding shit.

the thong is a game changer
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    There are probably pirates not far from there.. I could see myself chillin on the beach with like a linen shirt, probably a thong... eating tropical fruits and exotic endangered shellfish and some f'n peon rolls up with a sks demanding shit.
    Try not to be so negative broheim. We'll keep the riff raff off the beach.

What are you hooked up to? All good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats dentist stuff. he good.
    I mean, only mountain dew drinkers get cavities. He drinks fizzy water.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    thats dentist stuff. he good.
    I mean, only mountain dew drinkers get cavities. He drinks fizzy water.
    Cool. Well that dentist needs to up sell him to some full head x-rays or sealers or something. He can't even afford a new radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

" every picture tells a story don't it" ? Lol
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

sometimes, the 'Shire tries real hard to be retro....

I am wondering how many Southern church air conditioners were stripped to provide that copper tub?

Old building, it's quaint

I was there for a cleaning..

20210526_125220.jpg