Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any word on KS?

How many where in the group?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    How many where in the group?
    I always drew first option whether by myself or in a group.

Y'all ain't living right or they had a flood of applicants this year.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Says on their website they had a record number of applicants and there will be no leftover tags

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    I always drew first option whether by myself or in a group.

Y'all ain't living right or they had a flood of applicants this year.
    I’m sure they had a flood of applications. A few YouTube stars killing good deer on WIHA land mixed with stimulus checks....

Common theme I’m seeing around here is guys dumping their lease close to home and doing a few OOS trips with that money instead. Lease land is getting harder to find and the cost is outrageous when you can find it. I know several that have washed their hands of hunting around here and just hunt public in Nebraska, Missouri, Ohio, etc. Then put in for a lottery state like Kansas or Iowa and hunt that if drawn.

I have been doing that for years. More hunters now especially the younger crowd that grew up watching the proper tool to hunt with. Corning and box stands bore them.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    I’m sure they had a flood of applications. A few YouTube stars killing good deer on WIHA land mixed with stimulus checks....

Common theme I’m seeing around here is guys dumping their lease close to home and doing a few OOS trips with that money instead. Lease land is getting harder to find and the cost is outrageous when you can find it. I know several that have washed their hands of hunting around here and just hunt public in Nebraska, Missouri, Ohio, etc. Then put in for a lottery state like Kansas or Iowa and hunt that if drawn.
    I done such with ducks years ago.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Yeah, it sucks. Maybe if people would STFU and/or quit being social media attention whores these states wouldn’t be inundated with with every Tom Dick and Harry with a facetagram account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Yeah, it sucks. Maybe if people would STFU and/or quit being social media attention whores these states wouldn’t be inundated with with every Tom Dick and Harry with a facetagram account.
    We’ve never seen this before.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Yeah, draw/quota turkey tags.... Coming to a state near you!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Didn’t put in for KS but put in for elk, mule deer, pronghorn and Mt goat in Nevada , Idaho and Utah and so far I’m 0 for 6 in two states. Idaho up next. Also unsuccessful for KY elk again for the 4th year in a row
    As of last week, they were Deer tags turned in.... Idaho, that were available for purchase FYI
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

It’s getting harder to draw everywhere. More demand less supply. I pay a lease in IA that I get to bow hunt every 3-4 years depending on the number of applicants. There is a loophole that I use to gun hunt, but I expect it to be closed at any time. It’s worth it IMO.
    OTC opportunities out west are becoming fewer and more crowded. YouTube, ON X and stimulus money have created the perfect storm. Understanding the western draws is easier, you don’t have to know how to read a map anymore, and Uncle Sugar has put a little jingle in a lot of pockets. I didn’t draw elk in WY with 4 points, in a unit where that had previously been 100% in the Special Draw. WY is cutting the number of Antelope tags. There will be a lot of disappointed folks that have been depending on the O point units for opportunities.
    Last edited by FLS; 05-27-2021 at 06:18 AM.

so y'all blame this solely on the internet? Stimulus money? come on, man....
    I dont buy it...

Maybe private land ownership and shrinking opportunities are part of it.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

OnX is inaccurate trash...

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    so y'all blame this solely on the internet? Stimulus money? come on, man....
    I dont buy it...

Not solely but doesn’t help. I agree land and shrinking opportunities are part of it. I also think the demand is higher because of Covid influences last year as well... to an extent.

I also think the internet doesn’t help. Growing up all I heard about was Illinois and Iowa.

Now I hear more Kansas than Illinois. We all know Iowa is hard to get drawn.
    More fuel = more boost!!

As an added pressure, horn hunters have been shut out of Canada for a couple years now as well. Western US states may not provide the opportunity for monster bucks of those sizes, but what are they gonna do? Not hunt?

25 years ago we had the Eastman's journal, crappy handheld GPS, crappy weather radios and limited cell service. No on-line DNRs to figure out drawing odds. Hunting public in the Mid-west and West is much easier now.

YouTube shows like Dave Owens and The Hunting Public have shown the average joe it can be done on a shoe string budget. I am sure they have added to some pressure that cannot be quantified but I don't begrudge them for making $$. I am spiteful they taught so many how to read a topo.

The irony of you morons bitching on social
    Media about social media.

Keep bragging and showing your season recaps.
    Last edited by KRT; 05-27-2021 at 08:17 AM.
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    That's a common complaint in much of the country but I don't think it applies to Kansas. Numerous outdoor writers have said it's friendly to folks who don't own or lease land. If I've received that news, it isn't [I]news[I] and it's no wonder demand for tags has exceeded supply.

My buddy out west cusses because he cant draw a landowner tag on property he owns and leases except every 3rd year. Most of his competition comes from big cities in his own state. I agree, turkey tags will become the next draw item with preference points. Already is in some states.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    That's a common complaint in much of the country but I don't think it applies to Kansas. Numerous outdoor writers have said it's friendly to folks who don't own or lease land. If I've received that news, it isn't [I]news[I] and it's no wonder demand for tags has exceeded supply.
    i've been going to KS for over ten years. Large blocks are being sold into smaller blocks. The internet didnt make that happen.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.