Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Garden Thread

Default 2021 Garden Thread

Since Turbo is slacking again and hasn't started a garden thread for the second year in a row.... tighten up gypsy and post up your'n. Mine is doing well and survived the late frost. Maters, yeller squash, zucchini, cukes and peppers. Been picking squash and zucchini for a week now.

And why the hell aint the pictures uploading anymore? Trying to upload them like I always have, I hit upload file and nothing transfers to the text box.

Maybe it’s the solar flares?

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

that's a lot of tomatoes.

I'm done with big gardens. We've planted a couple acres of sweet corn at the farm, they're up pretty high. we've got water on them, but all of the feed corn out in the field is going to be in trouble soon if rain doesn't come around soon, I'll probably end up drawing a damn turtle out there today.

I've got about a dozen cherokee purples, and a couple little ones, can't remember which ones they are. maybe sweet 100s, I eat those when I'm out there. then the rest of the regular things, maybe next week I'll be pulling squash. I'm not a hipster, but the last couple of times I've planted cherokee purples they've done well, and I liked them.

Done with big gardens but a couple acres of corn? I thought my 1500 square foot garden was about as big as something called a garden could be before it turns into a hobby farm. It's enough to keep up with for me. I should pick a bucket full of squash today. Mater sammiches by July 4th I hope.

I picked (and ate) my first yellow squash and zucchini last night. I didn't get my seeds in the ground until a few days after good Friday so I'm a little behind some folks, but whew, they are loaded. String beans will be ready to start picking pretty soon. Cukes, tomatoes, jalapenos, and watermelons are also coming along nicely. Just in time for this 99 degree heat wave.

Dang i got about 14 tomato plants, about the same number of okra and about 3 rows of sweet corn. Everything seems to be doing well and had the first 2 tomatoes pop up this weekend.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

2nd year in a row I’ve had a few butternuts come up from my spaghetti squash seed packets.

Spaghetti
    Crook neck
    Zukes
    Red onions
    White onions
    Bells - 3 colors
    Jumbo jalapeño
    Spinach
    Kale
    Cauliflower
    Okra
    Green Beans
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Done with big gardens but a couple acres of corn? I thought my 1500 square foot garden was about as big as something called a garden could be before it turns into a hobby farm. It's enough to keep up with for me. I should pick a bucket full of squash today. Mater sammiches by July 4th I hope.
    Maybe that much.. after years of planting corn for animals, we kinda figured it was just as easy to start on one side of the field with sweet corn. I mean everything is hooked up, two row no till. It's all in our main field. My newer garden at the house has an 8 foot high fence, six raised beds in it that are 6 by 6

my wife saves seeds from spaghetti and butternut every year and makes me plant them. they take over the entire garden by july.

I got plenty of tomatoes and peppers and such. lettuce is about done.
    wish I had some okra

and I got brussel sprouts for some reason....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I’ve got the following in the ground:

Potatoes (Yukon Gold and Little Reds)
    Sweet Corn (Ambrosia and Peaches n’ Cream)
    Tomatoes (Amelia, Dixie Red, Heatmaster, Rutgers, and Cherokee Carbon)
    Peppers (Sweet - Red, Yellow, Purple and Jalapeños)
    Okra
    Cucumbers
    Squash

I also installed a drip tape irrigation system this year. Excellent setup. It has greatly reduced my weeds and plant diseases.

I can’t wait for that first ‘mater sandwich of the season!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope my butternuts are actually what the pack says they are. Okra and beans are pitiful. I have some squash and cucumbers that should be ready to eat in a week or so.

Butternut squash
    Crook neck
    Zucchini
    variety of tomatoes
    watermelons
    cantaloupes
    okra
    green beans
    cucumbers

I am slack.

My shit is looking pretty good. Here's some pictures from a couple weeks ago. The earlier corn is probably at 60" now.

We've got the following going on:

-Three tight rows of collards that are really just getting happy (I hope I can get some pulled before they bolt in the heat)
    -Two rows of okra (replanted the top row that was spotty last weekend)
    -30 tomatoes of varying varieties
    -40ft of peppers
    -8 rows of corn (I like to grow them in patches and not equal rows as they seem to pollinate better and hold up in those nasty thunderstorms a bit better)
    -One row of summer squash
    -One row of pickling cukes
    -One row of beans
    -One row of peas
    -One row of zucchini
    -1/2 row of cantaloupe
    -1/2 row of watermelon
    -1 row of pumpkins

Top.jpg

Tomato Pepper.jpg

Middle.jpg

Bottom.jpg

I have always had a decent garden, but got fed up trying to grow corn in this poor ass ground. I hauled a load of compost in to spread and till in March and it has made all the difference with the heavy feeding stuff.

I'm thinking I'll do the same again this fall for my winter stuff and then see how she'll do for a year or two.

I'll get some more pics in the next few days and try to remember to post 'em up.

I do have some tomatoes that I lost in the past week. I think I fertilizer burned 'em when I hilled the bases due to my wife's inability to plant them deep enough. I'll probably just pull those out and replant with something that makes later anyhow.
    Last edited by turbo; 05-25-2021 at 09:03 AM.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

From the wife's instagram stories this morning.

It's incredible how much that corn has grown in a week and a half.

Green Tomatoes.jpg

Tomatoes.jpg

Bo in corn.jpg

BoBo says, "If you ain't ridin' yer bike in yer jammies with yer rain boots on the wrong feet through daddy's corn, you ain't no cowboy."
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Looks good Turbo. Do you prune your tomato plants other than pulling the suckers off? A guy on youtube was saying he trims all of the branches off up to the first bloom. He claims it makes them grow higher and less bushier.

kid better wipe his boots before he steps in here....

drakey-i cull some lower branches, if that's what you mean. I dont youtube or podcast though.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    Looks good Turbo. Do you prune your tomato plants other than pulling the suckers off? A guy on youtube was saying he trims all of the branches off up to the first bloom. He claims it makes them grow higher and less bushier.
    I pull every sucker I see and cut back any branches that catch splash from the ground.

The suckers are the devil.

The splash branches are probably more superstition than anything.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

A week has made a huge difference.

I expect this rain we're getting this week will make even more difference. Rain always seems to hit different than the drips do...

The corn is flowering and silks showed up on Saturday on the big stuff.

Summer is here, boys!

collards.jpg

peppers.jpg

cukes.jpg

zucchini.jpg

watermelon.jpg

pumpkin.jpg
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Pulled three maters in the last two days. I’m digging these Early Girls.