Thread: High Tide fiberglass work

Default High Tide fiberglass work

I want to add these upright braces to a High Tide I am redoing. I want them for a place to screw something to and also to beef up the side of the boat.

What type of wood and what type of fiberglass cloth/tape/resin/epoxy do I need to accomplish this?

I snagged these pictures from a few rebuild threads.

BET help?! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 05-24-2021 at 06:34 PM.

There are going to be varying degrees of how perfect you want to make it.

The good news is that its not a really structural piece and if it does absorb water will not be the end of the world.
    You can get away with poly resin if you rough up the surface before applying but epoxy will give you better adhesion.

Glass mat is going to be easier to work with on those radiuses but you still may need to create fillets to soften them some.

If it was me and I was going to use the boat as a knockaround hunting/fishing boat and not a show piece:

Rough up where I am placing it
    Cut the plywood to the shape I want then coat with laminating poly resin put in place and allow to dry
    Rip out some pieces of glass mat ( I don't think you really need to put a cloth here) and wet out to cover the form, use a chip brush or roller to really take the air out.
    Once dry paint the whole thing in wax added gel coat to cure it, this will also help in the fairing stage after.

You could also mix the poly hot and knock it out in a day.

Assuming you are planning on finishing with paint, either epoxy or poly would be fine. I think the trickiest part will be bending/clamping the pieces of wood to the hull while your resin sets up. Unless you remove material to make a convex curve matching the hull your wood will be bent and introduce some stresses into the structure. Depends on how thick the wood you are trying to use is, I would bet it would be tough to bend a piece of 1/2" plywood around that curve. I would probably use 2 or 3 layers of 1/4" by 4" wide solid wood strips and put your resin of choice between each layer (if you have a bandsaw or planner you could get them thinner). Then you have to figure out a way to clamp it. I would probably try and wedge pieces of wood from one inside of the hull to the other.

You can see the curvature here, this is a template I made for one of my bulkheads

IMG_20190312_191017196.jpg