Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Wake

If it’s during the middle of the week and there’s no boats or a game warden around I don’t see a sign.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

You can't see as it is.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    What does “No Wake” mean to you?

You're coming into a marina and have to pass the “No Wake” markers. What do you do?
    It depends
    Is anyone looking?

Plowing speed!

Idle speed, literally no wake behind the boat. Some boats can go faster than others to accomplish this, but the point behind it in most cases is to not throw a wake into the guy trying to load/unload his boat at the ramp or sling it against the dock while he is parking his truck.

There is obviously different reasons for no wake around structures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idle speed will get you in jam when the water is ripping through the cut to packs at the trestle from the river.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

I actually got blue lighted coming up the canal running 4mph. They were running about 25k through st stephens. He gave me a warning but I was not happy with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Situational.

Back before the ICW got stupid with boats in Little River, the no wake signs at the LR boat docks meant to get on full plane and cut between the channel markers and the hill.

No wake. No danger of hitting another boat because you werent in the channel.

Now, you'd as soon find my boat on that stretch of water as you would if it spent a Sunday on Murray.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Idle speed will get you in jam when the water is ripping through the cut to packs at the trestle from the river.
    I saw a teenager get blue lighted when the current was ripping through the cut. He was doing the best he could do with that little 15hp.

The actual wording of the law is something like "the slowest speed possible while still maintaining steerage and headway".

I used to run into this proplem and question multiple times when I was on the Marine Patrol. The law reads as follows:

SECTION 50-21-110. Negligent operation of water device; offense; penalties.

(A) No person may operate any water device in a negligent manner.

(B) Negligent operation includes, but is not limited to, operating a water device at more than idle speed in a no wake zone, failing to maintain a proper lookout for other boats or persons, operating too fast for conditions on the water, racing, or pulling a skier through a designated swimming area.

I would constantly pull people who stated: "I was only going 6 mph". Its idle speed. Put it in gear, and just enough throttle to maintain forward movement.