Soooo, the wife bought a double reclining loveseat thingy (online) and, separately, a used recliner from some folks on FB. Since day one, we have both had issues with getting the foot rest to securely lock DOWN after use. I could do it with a little technique development, but they were a pain in the ass (love seat more so). I've flipped it over, messed with spring positions on the recliner tension springs... nothing.

One thing different (to me) on these is that they have the little paddle "lever" on the side you pull out to release the foot rest, instead of the old reliable handle we used to have. It is connected to the release mechanism with a thin cable. There are two holes in the release mechanism end for the cable - I switched the hole, and that made a huge difference to ME. The wife still can't close it.

The issue doesn't appear to be in the tension springs, but in the actual release mechanism not "catching". Disclaimer: she has short legs, so leverage may be an issue.

The loveseat is a Catnapper brand. The recliner... I dunno.

Any guidance is appreciated. I can work on guns a bit, but this recliner is eluding me.