GREENVILLE, S.C. —
WYFF News 4’s Geoff Hart announced Thursday that he will not be returning to WYFF 4 after being diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease.

Geoff has been on medical leave since late December 2020.

“The WYFF 4 family is heartbroken by the news,” said WYFF 4 President and General Manager John Humphries. “Geoff is a part of our family, and we love him. We will continue to support him as he leaves to focus on his health and spend time with his family.”

In a note sent this week to staff, Geoff wrote, “After much prayer and the support of station management, my family and I have decided to publicly share my condition through a news story that Jane [Robelot] will help tell. I feel fortunate to have worked at the station all these years, with not just great journalists, but truly great people.”

After their airing tonight, Jane Robelot’s reports will be available for viewing on this page.

Geoff has been with WYFF 4 since 1993. He spent 18 years as Sports Director where he became well known around the community for his popular ‘Hart Stoppers’ segments. In 2006, Geoff joined the Hearst Television team in Italy, covering the Torino Winter Olympics. He decided to shift his focus in 2011 and moved to the news desk where viewers have been waking up with him weekday mornings. He has told the stories of our local teachers through the Golden Apple Award, as well as emceed countless events in the community, including the Special Olympics.

Geoff has won multiple awards, including 11 Emmys, Best Sportscaster from the Radio Television Digital News Association and the South Carolina Broadcasters Association Television Personality of the Year award.

“Geoff is beloved by his co-workers and the viewers who have watched him throughout his 28-year career in the Upstate,” said WYFF 4 News Director Akili Franklin. “He is a wonderful, caring journalist and has been a mentor and friend to so many in the newsroom. We will stand by his side now and in the years to come as he faces this fight.”

Donations can be made to the Alzheimer’s Association South Carolina Chapter.

Viewers can leave well wishes on his Facebook page or send cards to the following address:

Geoff Hart
c/o WYFF 4
505 Rutherford Street
Greenville, SC 29609

https://www.wyff4.com/article/wyff-n...nosis/36490486