Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chattooga on the fly

Get your nibblets at Dollar General

Quote Originally Posted by ersepton View Post
    Be sure to bring a ultralight and a black rooster tail for when you decide you want to catch something.
    Haha...We caught a boat load last weekend in NC mostly on rooster tails. I had planned to fly fish some, but ended up all ultralight throwing a variety of stuff. It's one of my favorite things to do during the Summer months.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    stopping by the shop for a purchase will do you better than a phone call. they are good people and will help
    Totally agree with this. I missed them last time, but always try to stop by a local shop if at all possible, even if I’m not fishing.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

If I park at Burrell's Ford, which direction should I go on the trail with a better chance of escaping people and having better stretch of fishable river? the one time i've been, I went north towards Ellicott.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Read the regs before you go.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Read the regs before you go.....
    fishing or camping? I see fires only permitted in existing rings, no camping within 50 feet of river, etc. For fishing regs, all i can find online is "A valid South Carolina fishing license is required to fish on the national forests. Detailed rules and regulations are posted on information boards". I'll check the boards at the trailhead and the fly shop will hopefully have something printed. Anything in particular that i should look for or be aware of?
    Last edited by everlast; 05-20-2021 at 04:30 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Get a regulations book and keep it with you. Blows my mind the number of people that don’t ever read the damn thing.

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-conte...0SCAB-VLR4.pdf

Pay special attention to pages 32 and 33.

glad you pointed that out. I was operating under the impression it was still catch and release on artificial only. Would have found out differently at the fly shop, but not in time to pack some aluminum foil, evoo, salt, and lemon pepper. preciate it.
    Last edited by everlast; 05-20-2021 at 05:07 PM.
    -Samuel Adams

That’s what they are there for

I haven't fished that river in years, but I remember having a box full of mostly gold ribbed hare's ears from #10 to #14. Non-weighted, weighted, and bead headed. A few wooly boogers, and some elk hair caddis for dry fishing. But that was a lonnnng time ago, but I'm gonna try and go back soon.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

We fished the river in June last year and picked a bad day. The Kayaktards were bank to bank.

I did have one nice hole south of Burrell's Ford full of little Brook trout and SNITs that kept me entertained for a while ..with the no rain in the forecast for the next few weeks, the fishing should be good until the 02 levels drop due to the increasing temperature of water and flow level decreases.

I did watch a 10 year old kid catch about a 20" Brown that he sight cast to and teased into a strike. He handled the fish like a pro. That was fun. It's a beautiful river for sure.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Snuck away from work this morning for about an hour. Caught 13 all on top. Nothing big but still a good morning for a work day.

Purty.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I went to private water by my house yesterday afternoon to fly fish for the first time this year ... I remembered very quickly I suck at it. Saw a good bit of fish though. I'll go back to them tonight with an ultra light and finish what I started.

Nothing wrong with slinging a Mepps, Panther Martin or a Rooster Tail to em!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Cast net will work wonders