Thread: Quail Market

Default Quail Market

Fixing to add quail to my flock. Is there a market for quail or eggs out there? I'm not talking about commercial farming. I would just like to sell enough to pay for the feed, equipment, and the birds I keep.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Look into the coturnix quail. Supposedly they have quick turn around on egg production and are killer to eat. I thought about it hard but it’s a mess and have a little too much going on at the moment.
    867-5309

Coturnix for eggs, bobwhite for meat. Only way to (legally) make any kind of ROI is to sell live birds. Too much red tape and $$$ to sell eggs or meat.
    Coturnix are sexually mature in about eight weeks, bobwhite are more like 14-16, and only lay seasonally. I've gotten 4 generations of coturnix in a year, where bobwhite are only one. Neither will brood reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Coturnix for eggs, bobwhite for meat. Only way to (legally) make any kind of ROI is to sell live birds. Too much red tape and $$$ to sell eggs or meat.
    Coturnix are sexually mature in about eight weeks, bobwhite are more like 14-16, and only lay seasonally. I've gotten 4 generations of coturnix in a year, where bobwhite are only one. Neither will brood reliably.
    Where you get them from?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

My bobwhite came from eggs from WV, a fella that hatched for release operations. Coturnix came local.
    I liquidated two years ago when I moved with plans to start back up when I get two hundred other things squared away.

I can get coturnix local with no problem. If I can make enough to break even plus my meats free, it will be more than worth it me. Not trying to make a living, just some free food. I'm sure I could sell bobwhites to the bird hunters. They're always looking for birds. There again, just enough for the hobby to be free.

Here’s some info from Clemson Extension that may prove handy: https://www.clemson.edu/public/lph/a...bird-farm.html. Especially if you live near a border.

In that case, assuming you can line up regular buyers for the eggs, I would get enough coturnix to supply that demand(they lay one, sometimes two a day). Cull the males as soon as they mature and give plenty of space or they will mutilate each other.

Then hatch bobwhite from eggs to satisfy your personal demands for meat. Breed to sell live birds if you can find the buyers.

Coturnix meat sucks compared to bobwhite.

Curlee did you use those quail racks where the eggs roll out in the tray? Them things are fancy
    867-5309

Homemade ones, yes.

in a very non weird sort of way, I'm envisioning your pony tail as you chase quail around....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

if its at all possible for that not to sound weird.

Yeah, that was weird. You've been spending a lot of time with Cromer havent you?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    if its at all possible for that not to sound weird.
    Zero chance.

We are talking bedazzled jeans weird. Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Yeah, that was weird. You've been spending a lot of time with Cromer havent you?
    certain laws prohibit me from admitting this....