Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Gal....

Default Alpha Gal....

After 3 really bad reactions to eating steak and having all the blood work done, I just got diagnosed with Alpha Gal...anyone else been fortunate enough to get the Lone Star poison??
    I know my friends are tired of me talking about this chit but I’ve never taken ticks too seriously...this post is just a PSA to y’all to please protect yourselves best you can from the little bastads.....

I hate you are going through this.

Your warning is one we all need to heed.

My wife has been dealing with Lyme and it’s after effects. Ticks ain’t no joke.
    Last edited by Drylok; 05-19-2021 at 04:24 AM.

Thanks Drylock, it’s crazy..I was one of the first Lyme diagnosis’s in GA 25 years ago...now this. If you like eating mammals yall best heed the warning.

How long after bite did you get the reactions?

Ticks are terrible this year.

I know a guy who's had it for several years. The one upside is that he's lost a lot of weight since the only meat he eats now is salmon.
    Last edited by wob; 05-18-2021 at 08:31 PM.

I had never heard of this until you posted and I looked it up. Ticks are nasty, nasty critters. I am all about some bug spray around my ankles and in general and try to shower as soon as possible after being in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d say the initial bite came during Turkey season...then I cooked a steak like I do several times a week...first time I woke up covered from head to toe in hives. Literally said out loud that I hope this isn’t Alpha Gal...went to the immediate care, eyes about swollen shut and had an injection, steroids and antihistamine. Few days later, another steak and same result/treatment. At that point, wife and I were headed to our farm in middle GA to spend time with a family of carnivores..I decided to skip the red meat. Came home Sunday and told her we were going to find the best steaks we could get our hands on and test this chit...bought two prime bone in ribeyes at Stripling here in Brunswick and ate like it was my last steak...and it was...same chit, same treatment...along with a Refferal to an Allergist..had the complete allergy testing as well as a full blood work up and complete Alpha Gal panel. Test was actually very interesting as far as showing how allergic you are to each meat. My Alpha Gal “score” is 17.90...anything over .1 is a positive test so I’m loaded up with the antibodies (they call it “Stage 4”....Dr said he believes I was likely bitten by more than one Alpha Gal carrying Lone Star tick. Like most (good) people, I’m in the woods as much as possible and am always pulling ticks off me as no big deal...night before we left for our GA farm I felt one attached to my side..went in the bathroom and pulled it off to see another Lone Star. That one caused my whole side to turn blood red. Spray the chit on your clothes and yourselves or whatever you have to do...I “forgot” I had this and ate a piece of bacon mixed in eggs off my sons plate last night and have caught hell all day. Don’t take this seriously and you may never eat bacon again....
    Last edited by JCT; 05-18-2021 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    I know a guy who's had it for several years. The one upside is that he's lost a ton if weight since the only meat he eats now is salmon.
    Ha no doubt! I’m down 23 pounds in about 4 weeks...

There’s one other dude on here that has the same shit.

Scary stuff.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

FRT has been battling it for a few years now....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Ticks suck. I worry about them more than I do a snake in the woods. Sounds like you used to be a steak eating sob. Once a week is about all I can do.

I've been through, and beat the Lyme. Alpha Gal scares the hell outta me.

Sorry you're going through this.

Right there with you Curlee...went through a rough time with Lyme and often wonder if I continue to have symptoms. Finally got a “negative” Western Blot test but not sure if all the joint pain is from being fat, being old, Lyme or just the way it is...bourbon helps.

Yeah......it’s sucks. I’m 3 years in.....ribeye almost killed me. My levels are way down and I hope my blood test in June will have me back to an acceptable level. Different people have different reactions.....very small sample size for the doctors to work with. They didn’t know what this was 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    \"Go to Know\"

Sorry to hear it fellas. Any treatment on the horizon?

Good luck and thanks for PSA. I had more tick bites this year than I ever have. They blew right through the spray.

Praying for you and your doctors to find a treatment/cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    There’s one other dude on here that has the same shit.
    There’s a couple. Edisto is one that has it also.

My mother's room mate from college had it and it lasted roughly 7 years. She has fully recovered from it now.

thanks for the information...
    At least I'm housebroken.