Thread: Shooting ranges and lead

Default Shooting ranges and lead

Got one on your property or club?

SHORERIVERS REACHES SETTLEMENT WITH SHOOTING RANGE OVER TOXIC LEAD ALLEGATIONS
    April 27, 2021

The mid-Eastern Shore’s waterkeeper organization and an upscale shooting range have reached a settlement to address high levels of lead in the soil at a shooting range on the Wye riverfront.

ShoreRivers says the sporting clay course and shooting range at The Point at Pintail, in Queenstown, Md., has caused toxic levels of lead shot in surrounding soil, threatening the health of people and wildlife. According to a press release from the riverkeeper group, between 2013 and 2019 alone, 171 tons of lead were discharged around the site, which accumulated in soil, ditches, and ponds draining into the Wye.

While lead is banned in gasoline, paints, and waterfowl hunting nationwide, it is still in use in upland game hunting and trap- and skeet-shooting sports. Shooting ranges are especially likely to accumulate lead to toxic levels, ShoreRivers says. In 2017 the organized field a lawsuit under the Clean Water Act and Resource Recovery and Conservation Act alleging The Point at Pintail failed to protect human and environmental health from lead poisoning as required by law. ShoreRivers says it had first approached the business owners in 2015 about partnering to remediate lead pollution at the site and notified the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) and the Queen Anne’s County Health Department, but there was no action for two years.

The owners of The Point at Pintail, however, say the claims that “the Pintail Point property is ‘toxic’ or presents a danger of any kind to the environment or individuals are false and malicious.” They say MDE investigated ShoreRivers’ 2015 allegations and concluded that there were no violations of the law.

A collective statement from the owners to Bay Bulletin says the property’s owners have “from the time they began operating the range in 2012, implemented and continued following Best Management Practices pursuant to an Environment Stewardship Plan adopted under the U.S. EPA’s Guidance on Best Management Practices for Lead at Outdoor Shooting Ranges.”

Michael McLaughlin of SCS Engineers, the hazardous waste expert for ShoreRivers who evaluated samples taken in 2020 from The Point at Pintail, called the ecological risk from lead contamination in soil and sediment at the gun club “substantial.” He said, “The concentrations of lead found at several areas of the gun club present a threat to human health. Those potentially at risk include gun club visitors and staff who can ingest or inhale lead dust.”

The final settlement agreement requires The Point at Pintail to address existing lead deposits, clean up future lead debris, close or move certain shooting stations near wetlands or ditches, and do regular water and soil sampling to check for any further lead pollution.

For its part, Pintail Point’s owners say they were working to schedule the most recent lead reclamation project nearly a year before settlement discussions with ShoreRivers, and the reclamation work was finished in the summer of 2020, months before the settlement agreement. Pintail Point says it uses several Best Management Practices to “ensure the lead shot on the property is managed in a manner that does not have a negative effect on the environment.”

ShoreRivers hopes the case serves to raise awareness about the threat posed by lead shot.

Isabel Hardesty, executive director of ShoreRivers, says, “Many hunters and sport shooters are conservation-minded, and I urge these communities to look at this as an opportunity for improvement. Can we do more to protect against the damages of lead shot, or further curtail its use by switching to steel or other non-toxic alternatives, in order to protect our shared environment? ShoreRivers welcomes the opportunity to work with the sport shooting community in these endeavors.”

-Meg Walburn Viviano

https://chesapeakebaymagazine.com/sh...d-allegations/

I am told that once lead oxidizes, it becomes inert. I wonder where lead mines get lead from?

Just wait until they find out where they have been putting nuclear waste all these years.

Belle Grove?

The Trap club I am a member of in WA has been around since the early 1900s. It is on the banks of the Wenatchee River. The fish huggers tested the soil and found that the lead levels were exceeding the allowable rate ( the river is a Salmon and Steelhead fishery).. it cost them a bunch of dough to remove the top 6 feet of soil.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

How long until they start testing duck ponds and dove fields?

A lot of clays clubs harvest the lead periodically and make money off of it. There are outfits that come in and skin off the top layer of dirt, sort it and put the dirt back. It doesn't cost the club, it pays the club.

Greenville Gun Club does that periodically. Paid for the fence around the club with it when I was a member some years back.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

I have never wanted to eat a fish out of the crazy quail..

Its fairly simple to reclaim shot at skeet/trap fields. It becomes much more problematic for sporting clays course that run through wooded areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    Its fairly simple to reclaim shot at skeet/trap fields. It becomes much more problematic for sporting clays course that run through wooded areas.
    I made some extra cash in college working at a sporting clays course as a trapper and scorer (manual traps and yes I'm that old). We'd have to move traps and stations periodically on the wooded course because of dead trees. After a few thousand rounds to the face those trees just gave up the ghost. Not sure if the tree death was due to lead poisoning but definitely lead induced.

A good clays shooter knows how to use those shot up trees to his advantage in figuring a stand out.

And a good target setter knows how to use them even better.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    A good clays shooter knows how to use those shot up trees to his advantage in figuring a stand out.

And a good target setter knows how to use them even better.
    Yes indeed. I had a blast working at that place.

They'd have Wednesday night dinner shoots. For $35 you got 50 targets on the short course and dinner. Alcohol extra. That place put a lot of cash in my pocket tip wise.

They always had the same out at my cousin's place, Wednesday nights. I haven't done one in years.. but back in the day Joe recruited girl trappers.

Those were still the best pork chops that I ever had. I have tried, and failed, to replicate on several occasions...

Ha, he had his own cut at one of our own meat places.

Joe would occasionally cook a whole ribeye, as well. Meal was worth the price of admission!

Yep

I miss those days. I wouldn't get home until almost midnight some days but it was always a good time and great food.