Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating Summerville

If you're too uppity for Round O, then Cottageville...

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses. We were looking at the Dorchester 2 district, so that does help narrow it down a little if we decide on going out that direction. So if I am in that south Summerville area I should be able to take 642 down to the bridge, does that make it any better for the commute or worse ?

And I do have flexibility on days off , so I usually do fish and hunt on the weekdays because I hate the crowds on the weekends. But I guess its going to be an hour in any direction if I am out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Awendaw or McClellanville.
    Both full!

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    Thanks guys I appreciate the responses. We were looking at the Dorchester 2 district, so that does help narrow it down a little if we decide on going out that direction. So if I am in that south Summerville area I should be able to take 642 down to the bridge, does that make it any better for the commute or worse ?

And I do have flexibility on days off , so I usually do fish and hunt on the weekdays because I hate the crowds on the weekends. But I guess its going to be an hour in any direction if I am out there.
    Highway 642 = Dorchester Road.

What bridge are you referring to? Usually I take dorchester and can go a couple ways to the interstate, Ladson Rd, Cut through by airport or just take it straight to 526. Everything depends on time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_11 View Post
    Highway 642 = Dorchester Road.

What bridge are you referring to? Usually I take dorchester and can go a couple ways to the interstate, Ladson Rd, Cut through by airport or just take it straight to 526. Everything depends on time of day.
    Good to know. I guess dorchester rd to 526

What's your budget on house. Got a guy at work fixing to sell his. Back side of Newington right off bacons bridge. Will put you on dorchester rd. Gives you Flowertown/Newington elementary, Gregg middle, and your choice of Summerville or Ashley ridge for high school.

Ok, studies have proven the shorter your commute, the happier you and your family will be.
    If you work in Mt P, live there. The old town or near Remleys are both great areas and worth the money.
    Deer hunting are but an hour away in the FMNF.
    Plan your duck trips during the week, there is no traffic at 3am.
    Once Suzy housewife gets on the road every morning, a trip to the store takes an hour-anywhere in the Chas area.
    Last edited by Bad Habit; 05-18-2021 at 02:03 PM.

Yuk

I just recently moved to Ravenel from James island. After living on the island our whole lives we made a big change. I use to trash talk Summerville because I always thought it was trashy, but in fact, it’s actually not bad on the outskirts. In fact my wife and I prefer to go there instead of going towards Charleston if we need something. I do miss being on the island this time of year because I mainly fish the harbor and folly, but I’m fixing to do some exploring this way. Oh and don’t put in at the ramp on Leeds ave on a Saturday, I just made that mistake this past weekend. I’ll still stick to wappoo.
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Ok, studies have proven the shorter your commute, the happier you and your family will be.
    If you work in Mt P, live there. The old town or near Remleys are both great areas and worth the money.
    Deer hunting are but an hour away in the FMNF.
    Plan your duck trips during the week, there is no traffic at 3am.
    Once Suzy housewife gets on the road every morning, a trip to the store takes an hour-anywhere in the Chas area.
    100% agree. You work 5 days a week 48-50 weeks of the year. Most people hunt or fish a small fraction of that. I'm all about convenience.

i think bad habit nailed it.

and home school.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose843 View Post
    What's your budget on house. Got a guy at work fixing to sell his. Back side of Newington right off bacons bridge. Will put you on dorchester rd. Gives you Flowertown/Newington elementary, Gregg middle, and your choice of Summerville or Ashley ridge for high school.
    I’m a minute or two from here in the house i grew up in. It’s is nice, but Summerville isn’t what it use to be.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Quote Originally Posted by dmatheny21 View Post
    I’m a minute or two from here in the house i grew up in. It’s is nice, but Summerville isn’t what it use to be.
    I dont think anywhere in the state is what it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    I’ll still stick to wappoo.
    Ewww

Another in support of bad habit's answer

Lived in Summerville and worked in Mt Pleasant for 8 years.

Reiterating Bad Habit's suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by SCFoxman View Post
    Lived in Summerville and worked in Mt Pleasant for 8 years.

Reiterating Bad Habit's suggestion
    5 day work week...you can figure an average of 40 hours a month just in the commute alone.

and no one has said it yet, so I will.

If you aint happy....your kids aint happy. I admire you and your wife worrying about schools. Its important. However, "the clothes dont make the man."

I may need to be telling your wife all this bc they tend to get quite stuck on certain things....but if your marriage is strong, and you are happy in your job (commute, etc) your kid(s) will do perfectly fine in any school.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Everything you've outlined points heavily to Mt. Pleasant. The price of admission is a little higher, but to hell with that commute. Factor in the water access, schools etc and it's worth it. There are some good options on Clements Ferry and into Awendaw as well, just be sure you're zoned for the right schools.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    and no one has said it yet, so I will.

If you aint happy....your kids aint happy. I admire you and your wife worrying about schools. Its important. However, "the clothes dont make the man."

I may need to be telling your wife all this bc they tend to get quite stuck on certain things....but if your marriage is strong, and you are happy in your job (commute, etc) your kid(s) will do perfectly fine in any school.
    when govt funded indoctrination is off the table for your kids it opens up a lot more possibilities. to each his own
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

and James Island has been full
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston