Thread: Scope elevation adjustment question

Default Scope elevation adjustment question

A few questions for the scope gurus:

Leupold came out with a 4-12 Mark 3HD scope with a 30mm tube. I like the magnification range and the price.

A 30mm tube primarily exists to give you more adjustment range as I understand it.

The Mark 3HD maxes out at 5.6 MILs of elevation adjustment (~20 MOA).

A VX-3i with a 1” tube lists 16 MILs max adjustment (55 MOA).

1. Why the hell would they use a 30mm tube to provide less than half of the adjustment they can fit in a 1” tube?

2. Is 5.6 MILs a reasonable adjustment range? Will it potentially cause a problem getting zeroed? I assume that I have 10 MOA up and 10 MOA down to adjust (20 total). If I throw this scope on a gun with a 20 MOA rail, will the net effect cause an issue zeroing at the bottom or top of the adjustment range?

All my scopes have 40 to 80 MOA of elevation adjustment. I’m trying to wrap my head around 5.6 MILs total.

Interesting question. I’ve never used MILS so I can’t help there.. although, if 1 MIL is equal to 36" @ 1000 yds, than your statement of 5.6 MILS = ~20 MOA is at 100 yds, not total, if I'm getting this right. You'd actually have 201.6 MOA @ 1000 yds, wouldn't you?

Guess we'll see when someone who understands MILS shows up...
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 05-17-2021 at 12:40 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I would call Leupold and ask them if the how many revolutions it's capable of. That doesn't sound right at all to me, but it is Leupold....

I wouldn't get the TMR in second focal either, only the firedot.

For question #2: If its a quality optic, it shouldn't matter if you're in the bottom or top of the adjustment window. That's why they make the 20/40 moa bases. That way you can get your zero in the bottom range of the turret, giving you more elevation adjustment for longer ranges.

How far do you realistically expect to shoot?

My ballistic calculator says a 150 gr. .308 going 2500 fps muzzle will need around 23 MOA (6.69 mrad) to shoot 1000 yards if it is sighted at 100.

Your ballistic calculator is off. With a 100 yd zero it will take 13 + mils at sea level to get a 150 NBT going 2500 FPS to 1K.
    Your MOA is close, something is wrong with the conversion.
    Last edited by FLS; 05-18-2021 at 06:37 PM.

I didn't bother to check it because I knew it would get peer reviewed here. My point being that the OP is worried about something he may never have to deal with unless he is jumping into long range shooting....very long range for most of us average shooters and hunters.

What should the mrad be?

moa-mrad.JPG

I concur.