Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Income limit for pre k

I have a 7 year old with Asperger's. We were in Sevier County TN when he was diagnosed with autism. We were set to get into Pre-K with him but got booted. I was told it was due to us making too much money. A little mexican kid got his spot. All of this was on the down low of course. We immediately started looking for other options. We looked into the best public school system in east TN. We went and talked with them and they told us right away if we moved there he would be accepted due to the diagnosis. We sold our home and moved about 50 miles west. Best thing we ever did for him. He excelled in the program they had for the 2 years he attended prior to moving up.

The reason I was told he didn't get the spot in Sevier County was that our income put them to where they wouldn't get federal money for having a low income kid in the program. I don't know how much truth there was to it and I wasn't going to stick around and make him suffer to find out. The school system we moved to was in Oak Ridge and was a city school... You had to live inside the city limits to attend this school system. Taxes were crazy high but they dumped that money into the school system for the families that worked at the government facility there. My taxes were 4 times as much on my home there and they were valued at the roughly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Can someone explain to me why the state does not allow my son to go to a public pre-K at the age of 4 because of our yearly income?

What does our income have to do with my kids ability to attend a public school. I pay school tax but yet I can’t use said school.

Title 1 funding, thought process (keep in mind this is federally funded program) is those with lower income are typically not the type to be able to really help their kids at an early age according to statistics

Those are normally the kids that struggle through school and if not reading by 3rd grade they are basically lost for the rest of their school career.

By way a Title 1 school is a school that has at least 75% of it’s student population on free or reduced lunch (this is the way it is always explained to me).

The 4K programs take Title 1 kids first and then if those spots are not filled they open it up to anyone.

Really wish nationally we could start a fully funded 4K program for all kids
    Last edited by tprice; 05-18-2021 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redhead25 View Post
    Lol! My wife would slap the piss out of you for saying this. She teaches 4K and the amount of time she spends lesson planning and the amount of classes she has to attend to keep her DSS hours is disturbing.
    I'm in a family full of educators (teachers, principals, administrators)...I don't come up with stuff on my own...tell your wife thanks for trying to be one of the good ones...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    I have a 7 year old with Asperger's. We were in Sevier County TN when he was diagnosed with autism. We were set to get into Pre-K with him but got booted. I was told it was due to us making too much money. A little mexican kid got his spot. All of this was on the down low of course. We immediately started looking for other options. We looked into the best public school system in east TN. We went and talked with them and they told us right away if we moved there he would be accepted due to the diagnosis. We sold our home and moved about 50 miles west. Best thing we ever did for him. He excelled in the program they had for the 2 years he attended prior to moving up.

The reason I was told he didn't get the spot in Sevier County was that our income put them to where they wouldn't get federal money for having a low income kid in the program. I don't know how much truth there was to it and I wasn't going to stick around and make him suffer to find out. The school system we moved to was in Oak Ridge and was a city school... You had to live inside the city limits to attend this school system. Taxes were crazy high but they dumped that money into the school system for the families that worked at the government facility there. My taxes were 4 times as much on my home there and they were valued at the roughly the same.
    Sux and that is what is wrong with federally funded programs but glad to hear you did what was best for your child and it worked out for you.

Problem with programs like this is they have “tunnel vision” and go through with blinders on instead of looking at real life situations.

Typical Government response, throw money at something whether it works or suits those that need to help best so politicians can feel good about themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Because pre-K is nothing but a daycare and you can afford daycare yo' self.

Total BS. My daughter teaches 5K (has for 5 years ) in a Title 1 school and loves it. She is always telling me these kids could be so much further ahead if they had them a year earlier

Maybe you should stop in and watch a class at a local public elementary school, preferably a Title 1 school

its not 1980 any more
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    its not 1980 any more
    Nice post, Davinci Code.

Guess your child won't be getting the monthly stimulus check I've read about to poverty stricken children per Biden?
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Nice post, Davinci Code.
    fdot udot
    richard
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post

Really wish nationally we could start a fully funded 4K program for all kids
    Makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Total BS. My daughter teaches 5K (has for 5 years ) in a Title 1 school and loves it. She is always telling me these kids could be so much further ahead if they had them a year earlier

Maybe you should stop in and watch a class at a local public elementary school, preferably a Title 1 school
    Let me repeat myself...with emphasis...

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I'm in a family full of educators (teachers, principals, administrators)...I don't come up with stuff on my own...tell your wife [or daughter] thanks for trying to be one of the good ones...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Really wish nationally we could start a fully funded 4K program for all kids[/QUOTE]

Why? Personally, I think the way they have it set up works 95% of the time. Most kids that have a decent background don't need 4k. Sure it might help them transition to 5k better, but they are all fine in the long run. The last thing I want to do is give public education any more money.

This is what he wants explains the Trump bashing. What's another $230 billion?

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/gr...an/4888063001/

From cradle to grave.

3K?
    2?
    BirthK?

We play this right we may not have to see our kids ever.

5 year old is finishing up 4K this next week. He attended 2K and 3K previously and enrolled in 5K. Best thing we ever did as parents for him. Lil' brother is 21 months and doing the summer 2K program followed with 2K for the school year. This is at Newberry Academy.

1/2 day with optional late stay. It cost but not terrible when you break it down.

Both of mine have done the 8-12 programs at local church. It has done good for them.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid