Thread: Hawaii Car Rentals Do not exist...Anyone used Turo?

Default Hawaii Car Rentals Do not exist...Anyone used Turo?

We are going to Hawaii in July finally for burial of my father-n-law that we have had to delay 3x due to covid. Rental cars are non-existent. Going for 7 days and 9 of us going so Uber is out of the question. Anyone have suggestions? Turo users chime in please.

No feedback on your question, but curious if this is something unique and standard in Hawaii, or a recent phenomenon? I ask because we just had family in town recently and rentals cars were very scarce.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

I am still at the CHS airport from flying back from Honolulu. I rented a car Monday in Hawaii from Dollar/Thrifty at near normal prices. I had to stand in line about two hours to get it though. The shuttle driver told me the smart move would be to grab an Uber from the airport then come back to the rental site around 8:00pm and there will be no line.

Go on Hawaii website to do the covid testing registration and for your QR code. It took about 1.5 hours just to get out of the airport.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    No feedback on your question, but curious if this is something unique and standard in Hawaii, or a recent phenomenon? I ask because we just had family in town recently and rentals cars were very scarce.
    They sold off during the pandemic. High prices for used car and no need to pay on cars to sit around with nobody renting them. Some friends that do some traveling have been renting uhaul or finding some equipment rental companies with trucks.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    They sold off during the pandemic. High prices for used car and no need to pay on cars to sit around with nobody renting them. Some friends that do some traveling have been renting uhaul or finding some equipment rental companies with trucks.
    Ahh. Makes sense. thanks for the insight.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Makes sense it's due to COVID. I was in Hawaii a couple of years ago, no issue at all renting a car then, and plenty of rental cars driving around Maui.

Yep there's an inventory problem like so many other things. I've heard people are renting moving trucks too so I'm sure those prices have been "adjusted" by now.

i didn't ask any questions, but my lil bro got back a few days ago and mentioned they'd used the turo app to get around.....he'd never used it and said it was just as easy as finding a rental anywhere else

We're going in October and have some rental cars booked, should I not rely on these reservations?

If you can ever rent through silver car it’s the best rental experience I’ve ever had. I rented through them in Denver. Only large airports are an option with them.