Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please spare us...

Default Please spare us...

all of the bullshit. Either legalize doing the weed or don't. "Compassionate Care Act", my ass.

Medical marijuana steps away from legalization in South Carolina
    VIDEO: Medical marijuana steps away from legalization in South Carolina

By Michal Higdon | May 10, 2021 at 4:00 PM EDT - Updated May 10 at 10:38 PM

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - A bill that would legalize medical marijuana in South Carolina is on the calendar for debate at the state House.

But as we enter the last week of the legislative session, there’s still a question as to whether the discussion around the Compassionate Care Act will take place this year or next.

State Sen. Tom Davis, who represents Beaufort and Jasper counties, has been working on a bill to legalize medical marijuana since 2015.

“My job is to come up with a bill that empowers doctors and puts medicine in their hands to help their patients,” Davis says.

Over the years, dozens of other states have passed similar bills and Davis says he’s learned from their mistakes.

“South Carolinians do not want to legalize it for recreational purposes,” Davis says. “So the answer to those people who say it’s a slippery slope, I would say, a state’s laws are reflective of what their people want.”

Out of all of the other states’ bills, South Carolina’s is the most conservative, he says. In fact, it lists out the debilitating medical conditions that could qualify.

“We don’t have the list of conditions so broad to where anybody can walk into a doctor’s office and get an authorization to take cannabis,” Davis says.

Those conditions include cancer, multiple sclerosis, a neurological disease or disorder including epilepsy, glaucoma, and PTSD with confirmation that someone has experienced a traumatic event.

Davis also says it’s going to be tightly regulated.

“You only have a specific number of authorized growers - a very finite amount,” Davis says. “A specific number of individuals or entities that can process it. A specific number of dispensaries and we want to limit the number of these establishments because I don’t want the Department of Health and Environmental Control and the State Law Enforcement Division and other regulators to be overwhelmed.”

If the bill passes, how would things change?
    Many might not know – cannabis is already approved to grow in South Carolina. One farm that does is Nature’s Highway Farm in Neeses – just west of Orangeburg. They’re one of hundreds in the Palmetto State that have a permit to grow cannabis – but only plants that contain less than 0.3 percent of THC – which is classified as Hemp.

Andy Fogle says they have hundreds of plants they keep trimming and replicating as part of their hemp-growing process.

“If we allow them to bud, then we’ve lost that genetics, so we have to keep that stuff,” Fogle says.

They have thousands of replication plants that they are waiting on to root and then they will plant those in the field come June.

When it comes to the extraction of the hemp, that goes to another Nature’s Highway facility. They dry the flower and combine it with frozen food-grade alcohol. It’s essentially like a washing machine which washes the oil out of the plant. From there it goes through filters and ultimately ends up in the evaporation room where they separate the oil from the alcohol.

“We’re pumping CBD oil and ethanol that’s mixed together,” Fogle says. “It’s heated up. What’s happening is the ethanol, or alcohol, is evaporating. It’s going up a column as a vapor. In this coil is a chiller and you’ll the see ethanol, or alcohol, is coming back out. Once we get out all the ethanol, there will be nothing but CBD oil left.”

Fogle explains if medical marijuana were to be legalized, this entire process would stay the same. They would just be dealing with a different strain of cannabis.

While Fogle says they would definitely be interested in pursuing a permit to grow medical marijuana, if it’s legalized, Davis reiterates he wants to start out slow.

“I think ultimately what you’ll end up with is maybe between 15 to 30, growers, approximately that number of processors, more dispensers because it’s a broader portion of the state you have to cover there,” Davis says. “It’s going to take a while for DHEC and SLED to become accustomed to this and how they properly regulate and oversee the growing, processing and dispensing.”

DHEC released the following statement on the possible legalization of medical marijuana:

DHEC is charged with implementing the laws made by the state legislature as they pertain to the agency. DHEC is aware of bills that have been introduced that address medical marijuana and has been following the issue. DHEC also has not prepared to implement the bills at this time since legislation has not passed. If any bills are made into law, DHEC will carry out its obligation to implement the law, including any requirements placed on the agency related to applications and licensing.

Davis says the argument against legalization because the federal government has banned or outlawed it isn’t exactly true.

“If you look what Congress has done every single year, the past several years, whenever they pass their annual budget they have a proviso in that budget with the appropriation to the Department of Justice saying none of the money that we’re appropriating to you, Department of Justice, can be used to challenge or attack or undermine laws in states that have authorized the medical use of cannabis,” he says. “So, you’ve got Congress every year saying to the states this is something that’s okay for you to do. You’ve also seen that in the Executive Branch and the Department of Justice. There are written directives to U.S. attorneys throughout the country saying, ‘Do not challenge states that have passed medical cannabis laws.’ And finally, you have the courts, the Judicial Branch, which has repeatedly held that authorizing it for medicinal use is within a state’s power.”

As it stands right now, the Compassionate Care Act has been voted out of the Senate Medical Affairs Committee and is on the calendar to be discussed on the Senate floor.

Davis says he has the votes to get it passed, it’s just a matter of when it’s going to be discussed.

https://www.live5news.com/2021/05/10...outh-carolina/

I would venture to say that most who want to smoke, already smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of our elected conservatives wouldnt know what a conservative was if it bit them in the ass. Equally, the constituency really has no clue what liberty is either.

Political posturing polished with pretty words.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I was forced to spend last weekend in Myrtle Beach for my kid’s basketball tournament. There must be a glaucoma epidemic.

#gatewaydrug
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I don’t care what people do in their homes, but I am sick to death of having to smell that crap every time I go out in public. People who stink up public spaces with that nastiness need a 9mm slug under their chin.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    I don’t care what people do in their homes, but I am sick to death of having to smell that crap every time I go out in public. People who stink up public spaces with that nastiness need a 9mm slug under their chin.
    Do you say the same of folks that smoke their stinking ass cigars, cigarettes, vape pens, or the ones that toss their used snuff and chew in a parking lot or on a sidewalk?

People suck. It's got nothing to do with the weed.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I do. I should not have to walk through a cloud of any ofthat crap when I am out in public minding my own business.

The feeling is just exacerbated by the fact that weed is illegal. Just shows me that people who do that in public don’t respect their neighbors or the law.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

you sure could use some weed.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I heard it has a nasty reaction to all the fluoride I am being treated with.

I do. I should not have to walk through a cloud of any ofthat crap when I am out in public minding my own business.

The feeling is just exacerbated by the fact that weed is illegal. Just shows me that people who do that in public don’t respect their neighbors or the law.
    If in today’s climate the people who bother you the most are people smoking a plant then you ain’t paying attention. I don’t agree with smoking anything in public to be honest but if I’m lining people up to “put a 9mm under their chin” then it’s going to be a worse group than smokers.

I didn’t say they bothered me most. They are just on a list, a long and undistinguished list.

Just one more way to make sure the burdens on society remain burdens on society - as long as they continue to vote for the duh mass politicians that pay their way.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Gracious.

3 states that "legalized it" many years ago-

Oregon
    California
    Colorado

How are things going in those states today?

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    you sure could use some weed.
    Hahahahahahahaha

People who put their business out in public are the worst. The ones who have phone conversations, or watch videos on speaker, in public may the lowest form of human there is.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Coming in here and reading the comments makes me feel a lot less judgmental.

I heard it has a nasty reaction to all the fluoride I am being treated with.
    the ultimate mind game...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.