Thread: Poults

Default Poults

Saw a hen and at least 12-15 behind her yesterday. If your my friend on the face page I posted a video. Hope all these buggers will give back in 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Saw a group like that yesterday on our lease, couldn't have been more than a day or two old!

Thought this pic was worth sharing....

IMAG0234.JPG

very cool picture
    Carolina Counsel

Great photo
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by welltaut View Post
    Thought this pic was worth sharing....

IMAG0234.JPG
    Awesome pic....you got a perennial ryegrass problem FYI.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Nerd

I think I agree, but as a novice I haven't paid much attention to it because the deer/turkeys seem to use them hard year round. 6 out of 7 of my plots look like this now....but during fall/winter they look good. My hunt club has the same deal going on, beautiful plots during the fall, solid ryegrass this time of year.

What are the downsides to ryegrass....or rather why is it a problem? Would I have better oats/clover growth in the spring if the ryegrass wasn't there?

Don't worry, I have a problem with it too as do most of us.
    It's so invasive, it chokes out other plants late winter/spring.
    Yes, you food plots would look like you intended for them to look if you didn't have the ryegrass.
    Also, it's a tough on to control.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Don't worry, I have a problem with it too as do most of us.
    It's so invasive, it chokes out other plants late winter/spring.
    Yes, you food plots would look like you intended for them to look if you didn't have the ryegrass.
    Also, it's a tough on to control.
    Do you have any tips/pointers on controlling it? I spray then disc my plots every summer prior to fall planting, but that's obviously not working. Anything I can do between now an August to try and knock it back? Most online info says ryegrass is good as a starter/nursery type grass (in lawns) to protect other grass while starting out. Not much out there about controlling it. Fire? It looks to have already headed out or close to it, which aint good.

Ryegrass is a cheap seed that most of the "Fall Blends" have mixed in there. We don't screw with Blends anymore for that reason.

We have gone to straight Oats and add our Clover seed after the fact. Usually use a hand spreader and mix the clover seed with some sand. Tiny seed that just needs to make contact with the ground. It will surprise you on how well it does. Some of our plots are straight clover now- we mow and spray and I have a couple that have done so well, we haven't had to replant in 3 or 4 years. Clover is the best thing to plant for turkeys if you want to give them a year round food source. We still plant some Chufa on our place and they love it. Labor intense though.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPYlhcQA...dium=copy_link

I saw this on the Instagram a few days ago. Cool video.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Ryegrass is a cheap seed that most of the "Fall Blends" have mixed in there. We don't screw with Blends anymore for that reason.

We have gone to straight Oats and add our Clover seed after the fact. Usually use a hand spreader and mix the clover seed with some sand. Tiny seed that just needs to make contact with the ground. It will surprise you on how well it does. Some of our plots are straight clover now- we mow and spray and I have a couple that have done so well, we haven't had to replant in 3 or 4 years. Clover is the best thing to plant for turkeys if you want to give them a year round food source. We still plant some Chufa on our place and they love it. Labor intense though.
    Do the exact same thing. Clover is king for us.

There are a few options to combat Italian wildrye....

It germinates in the fall for starters....

You can rotate fields leaving some fallow then destroy the germinated plants.

You can leave the grain out of a planting and stick with clovers etc and spray with grass selective herbicides.

Or, stick with wheat for a grain in your planting since there are herbicides labeled for rye control in wheat.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 06-02-2021 at 07:54 PM.