Thread: V-E Day

Default V-E Day

Seventy six years ago today, I know that my father was happy.
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"

Was your father serving over there?

Yes, he was in Germany with the 89th ID.

I need to start doing some research on my grandad who was drafted and served in WWII. My dad and his older brother have both passed, so I have no stories of him just a few random pictures. There are no tangible remnants of his service. No medals, no uniforms, nothing.

I'm the only one in any subsequent generations to serve in the military and would really like to find some documents showing any information on where he served, when, medals earned, enlist/ discharge dates, etc.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 05-09-2021 at 10:27 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I need to start doing some research on my grandad who was drafted and served in WWII. My dad and his older brother have both passed, so I have no stories of him just a few random pictures. There are no tangible remnants of his service. No medals, no informs, nothing.

I'm the only one in any subsequent generations to serve in the military and would really like to find some documents showing any information on where he served, when, medals earned, enlist/ discharge dates, etc.

Ancestry.com would be a good start. I looked up alot about my family using my fil’s login once. It is addicting. Found census records and their signing papers for army etc. pretty neat. Found one census report for my SCV ancestor showing how many chickens/pigs and mules he had.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    I don't have any of those, I have the regular OD green and black version.
    Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I need to start doing some research on my grandad who was drafted and served in WWII. My dad and his older brother have both passed, so I have no stories of him just a few random pictures. There are no tangible remnants of his service. No medals, no uniforms, nothing.

I'm fortunate in that I remember him talking about his time in the army and the ETO. He once told me that if you had a pair of stockings, American chocolate, or a pack of cigarettes, that you could own a woman and he emphasized the word OWN. I have his Ike jacket, hell I used to wear the damn thing. I also have the Luger that he brought back in '45.