Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Flounder restocking program

So let me make sure I'm getting this flounder "issue" correct.....

-Approx. 9 years ago we could boat 40 w/ 12in min.
    -Approx. 6 years ago we could boat 30 w/ 12in min.
    -Approx. 3 years ago we could boat 20 w/ 15in min.

So the "claim" on SC's flounder population declining must have been known and/or spoken of 10 years ago given the above changes to regulations. Agree? Ok good. FYI...They are going to sneak through starting July 1, 2021 is a 5 per man or 10 per boat limit w/ 4 being in the 16'' to 20'' slot and 1 may be over the slot.

I think it's apparent that just about everyone that has posted in this thread is a hook, line, and sinker digital victim themselves! (ECU1984 I know you understand this topic from reading your post...I've personally seen and participated in pound netting in the Pamplico Sound...2 nets...700lbs to the market while still alive...AMAZING what those nets do). Back to the "claim" of declining flounder population in SC.....OK so what legislatures did starting about 10 years ago was cut the boat limit by 10 fish (that's big!!!), then I guess the "claim" was still widespread like Covid SO dropped it another 10 fish, a variant or hybrid of the "claim" must have surfaced again because they took 10 more fish away and increased the min. length which again are HUGE changes to regulations!

So all you hook, line, sinker victims in this thread are saying that you are in fact believers of ignorance in the following form: "Well we think we still have a SC flounder population problem; and the three major changes we've made over the past 10 years apparently haven't worked.....SO LETS DO IT AGAIN! GREAT IDEA SENATOR; LET'S DO IT AGAIN AND MORE EXTREME THIS TIME SO WE LOOK LIKE WE'RE TRYING HARD AND EXPLORING EVERY OPTION!" ....yeah every option that keeps your seat in the Senate and your donors on standby to give and every option that's the least amount of resistance to not ruffle any feathers! NO! NO! NO!

Bare with me and keep an open mind!! Let's follow the MONEY and switch species. Let's talk SC DUCKS for a second. Now you want to talk about a population thats on the decline! What about Daffy and Donald????? I know I hear stories from my dad hunting public growing up in Charleston and have seen many photos to corroborate the stories I was told about when we did have ducks in this State. Certain species of duck limits have changed here and there I'm not denying that, but the bag limit hasn't changed in SO VERY LONG!! And duck hunting in this state (even on private most times) sucks Rodney Dangerfield! But good thing an individual can shoot more ducks than they can keep flounder!

Never ever would a Senator, Legislator, Lawmaker whatever you want to call them....No way would they ever propose or sign off on any law changes RE: waterfowl regulations. Why? Well because in the State of SC the public land for ducks has become ruined due to lack of management and general population increase (# of hunters). Therefore, the few birds the State does get, where do they go eat and where do they go sit/rest? PRIVATE LAND OWNERS PROPERTY!! Who are in some cases, the Lawmakers themselves and who are those Lawmakers friends with????? You start to see the pattern here.

Unfortunately SCDNR is a State agency left out all together when it comes to actually making and setting laws/regulations. I hope we see this change ASAP! That said, biologist do "research" and provide data to SCDNR Board, that board supposedly reiterates the biologist recommendations and data to the legislators who in turn make/change/takeaway laws. Now I challenge all of you reading this post to make your OWN summation for how you feel things "work" in this State re: hunting/fishing laws. FIRST go search "SCDNR Board" and look at those board members....great folks and I even know a couple personally but the average age of that board has to be about; well let's just say there's no need for updated pictures then SECOND go search our SC Legislators (Senate & House)....How long have each of them been serving? Any of them know the folks on the SCDNR board? Think there's any complacency after all those years being in office?

That is all for now!

PS - I put in about 40+ trips gigging last summer and I never knew there were so many people gigging here.....THAT I NEVER SAW!!! Look forward to meeting all you ghosts (keyboard cowboys) this summer...but not really

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeys_Please View Post

So the "claim" on SC's flounder population declining must have been known and/or spoken of 10 years ago given the above changes to regulations. Agree? Ok good. FYI...They are going to sneak through starting July 1, 2021 is a 5 per man or 10 per boat limit w/ 4 being in the 16'' to 20'' slot and 1 may be over the slot.

I think it's apparent that just about everyone that has posted in this thread is a hook, line, and sinker digital victim themselves! (ECU1984 I know you understand this topic from reading your post...I've personally seen and participated in pound netting in the Pamplico Sound...2 nets...700lbs to the market while still alive...AMAZING what those nets do). Back to the "claim" of declining flounder population in SC.....OK so what legislatures did starting about 10 years ago was cut the boat limit by 10 fish (that's big!!!), then I guess the "claim" was still widespread like Covid SO dropped it another 10 fish, a variant or hybrid of the "claim" must have surfaced again because they took 10 more fish away and increased the min. length which again are HUGE changes to regulations!

So all you hook, line, sinker victims in this thread are saying that you are in fact believers of ignorance in the following form: "Well we think we still have a SC flounder population problem; and the three major changes we've made over the past 10 years apparently haven't worked.....SO LETS DO IT AGAIN! GREAT IDEA SENATOR; LET'S DO IT AGAIN AND MORE EXTREME THIS TIME SO WE LOOK LIKE WE'RE TRYING HARD AND EXPLORING EVERY OPTION!" ....yeah every option that keeps your seat in the Senate and your donors on standby to give and every option that's the least amount of resistance to not ruffle any feathers! NO! NO! NO!

Bare with me and keep an open mind!! Let's follow the MONEY and switch species. Let's talk SC DUCKS for a second. Now you want to talk about a population thats on the decline! What about Daffy and Donald????? I know I hear stories from my dad hunting public growing up in Charleston and have seen many photos to corroborate the stories I was told about when we did have ducks in this State. Certain species of duck limits have changed here and there I'm not denying that, but the bag limit hasn't changed in SO VERY LONG!! And duck hunting in this state (even on private most times) sucks Rodney Dangerfield! But good thing an individual can shoot more ducks than they can keep flounder!

Never ever would a Senator, Legislator, Lawmaker whatever you want to call them....No way would they ever propose or sign off on any law changes RE: waterfowl regulations. Why? Well because in the State of SC the public land for ducks has become ruined due to lack of management and general population increase (# of hunters). Therefore, the few birds the State does get, where do they go eat and where do they go sit/rest? PRIVATE LAND OWNERS PROPERTY!! Who are in some cases, the Lawmakers themselves and who are those Lawmakers friends with????? You start to see the pattern here.

Unfortunately SCDNR is a State agency left out all together when it comes to actually making and setting laws/regulations. I hope we see this change ASAP! That said, biologist do "research" and provide data to SCDNR Board, that board supposedly reiterates the biologist recommendations and data to the legislators who in turn make/change/takeaway laws. Now I challenge all of you reading this post to make your OWN summation for how you feel things "work" in this State re: hunting/fishing laws. FIRST go search "SCDNR Board" and look at those board members....great folks and I even know a couple personally but the average age of that board has to be about; well let's just say there's no need for updated pictures then SECOND go search our SC Legislators (Senate & House)....How long have each of them been serving? Any of them know the folks on the SCDNR board? Think there's any complacency after all those years being in office?

That is all for now!

PS - I put in about 40+ trips gigging last summer and I never knew there were so many people gigging here.....THAT I NEVER SAW!!! Look forward to meeting all you ghosts (keyboard cowboys) this summer...but not really
    First post in 3 years and making it count.

That is all for now!

Keep that Wando High education focused on commercial real estate.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

That is all for now!

40+ gigging trips. Now I know where the flounder went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

That is all for now!

but Bo, boatloads of "door mats taken 7 nights a week" by giggers, oh and SCDNR LEO apparently doesn't work at night
    and my Grandpa's first cousin isn't catch'n as many as he use to and he says "it's the hundreds of giggers out there every night loading the boat up".
    The truth is; NC commercial guys above you and Fla guys below you are smashing the shit outta them and the SC gov doesn't know how to address it

Just put your boat in at Remley’s or Wappoo about 4am on a Saturday morning Francis.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    We released a legal flounder yesterday without much thought, I rarely get any pushback on releasing fish. I am a fan of the release 20 initiative for both flounder and trout, being selfish the fish are worth more to me in the water than in someone's cooler.

I have not run into a tagged flounder yet but can say usually the tagged redfish come with quite a sheet of recatches. Proper handling of the fish can go a long way to their survival.
    I'm sure a guide has a lot more credibility than me telling my friends and random boat ramp folks. I've only had one tagged keeper redfish kept in the last few years I think. Either the mindset of looking for other fish to eat, general catch and release on redfish, or the tag seems to deter people from putting redfish in the cooler. A good many have been tagged under slot, caught/released in slot, and recaught over slot. I got into it to see their movement. Some get caught 3x in a week, move 20 miles of open ocean, 20 miles upriver, etc. I love getting the letter or email saying one got recaptured.

You must not of been around back in the blackened redfish days, they said they were about to go extinct.
    Low country redneck who moved north