Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes a turkey..

Default What makes a turkey..

get on a full body mount list for you? What about that bird gives you the reasoning to want to send that particular bird to the taxidermist. I've pondered that though, a long while over the years, and actually wondered if I was going to shoot one worth taking. It wasn't until I killed this last bird with hooks, to reassure what I was looking for.

to me it was his spurs, as I haven't been able to kill a bird with those length of spurs over a 20 year span. He was the icing on this year's cake being my last bird, he was killed start to finish on public land, and it was solo hunt being the first time I have ever hunted this bird, and killed him on my first attempt.

What say ye? Figure this would get us off using male turkey dekes.

FF21D702-60AF-4B76-811E-5BF69C1FDD91.jpg
    Last edited by dhall1693; 05-06-2021 at 11:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

I've never considered getting one mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtnap View Post
    I've never considered getting one mounted.
    X2

If the Spurs or beard were something extraordinary I would just have them displayed with fan.

With that being said I would mount an albino turkey.

Turkey mounts get in the way imo but flying mounts are a little more manageable

Having a thousand bucks I was about to light on fire?
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

My dad got my first longbeard mounted for me and had it done on a limb gobbling. I had a double beard bird mounted that I killed off of our family farm it's on a tabletop display and I despise that big ass thing. My fil had my son's first longbeard mounted on a limb gobbling. The limb mounts aren't bad but damn a tabletop display and with all that said I'll not display another one in my house.
    Last edited by CAJUN LAB; 05-06-2021 at 12:16 PM.

I wouldn't do one unless it was on a limb I could stick up in a corner. I've got a friend that has one in a fly down type deal and it takes up more room that his elk
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

x however many.
    i aint a full body mount kind of guy.
    hell, you people actually know how many turkeys you've killed and just cant stand not letting us know. I have no clue.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I'd love to kill one myself but never have. I've taken multiple people but never really taken the time to try much.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

For me, it was going to be something special like colorphase, hooks, or beards. Shot a 26lb, double bearded bird with nearly 2” spurs in 2018 and cleaned it before remembering I wanted to mount one. The 4 bearded freak is getting a FBM even though it was pretty beat up and only had 1” spurs.

I’m mounting my sons first bird because it was his first, it was a large Merriams, and it was beautiful.

I’ve been wanting a FBM simply because there are fewer things more stunning and beautiful than a wild turkey strutting.

If you need an excuse, those hooks are a great excuse; that said, you and everyone Who sees it will admire the bird itself far more than the hooks or beard/beards. Just pay the money and get a quality job done.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I have been fortunate when it comes to spurs. I have one that has 1 1/2" and 1 9/16" spurs along with two others that are 1 1/2". That being said I have one at HEAD's getting done right now that is full strut gobbling. He will be standing on top of an old whiskey barrel. He only has 1 1/8" spurs but he has a triple beard and was a magnificent specimen of the eastern wild turkey. My personal thought is that a finely done longbeard is MUCH better to look at than a dumb pine goat screwed to the wall like 99% of all dirtnecks have. Just my $.02

I cape special birds. I've caped out my best Rio and a few birds that I got a lot of satisfaction out of killing. I'll cape out my Merriams with wings too.

I cut the spurs off and thread them on a piece of tarred string, even the uh-oh jakes that fooled me into thinking they were more than what they were. In order of death. I have two sets of spurs over 1.5" on that string. Beards are piled on the mantel. I take that $1000 and buy plane tickets to kill more.

If I were to mount one, it would be an Oscellated or a leustic unique colored bird. Maybe if I were to kill a world record according to NWTF's matrix.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I've got two mounted.

One Merriam and one "Rio".

I do what I want and I wanted them both mounted.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I’ve never really thought about doing a full body mount but I’m sure I will one day. It’s sad how many spurs I threw away when I was a teenager and didn’t know any better. Including several 1 3/8” and a set of 1 1/2” spurs that I wish I still had. I do need to make a good display for all my beards though, I just have them laying in a pile.

I am waiting on 1.5 inch spurs.
    Carolina Counsel

I’d rather eat them and be done with it

Anything larger than a duck being done in a full mount looks a smidge over the top to me. Unless you're one of those guys that buys bedding from Cabelas

For me it's 1.5 spurs or maybe my son's first.
    I half regret not doing one I called in for my Dad. it was a stud bird and his first. I doubt he will ever kill another.
    Hunts shared with others > bird stats

Mount them breasts in grease and legs in the crockpot.

But 1.5” Spurs AND a 1’ beard is what I’ve always said was the benchmark for when I’d have an eastern mounted.

Default What makes a turkey..

Mounts are personal, so you should mount or not mount whatever the hell you want. I have a good many mounted, and they make me happy. Someone else’s opinion on what makes you happy shouldn’t mean a damn thing.

I shot a gobbler next to a Jake decoy yesterday.
    Last edited by trkykilr; 05-06-2021 at 07:53 PM.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I had the 27 lb eastern I killed full body mounted, just cause he was big and I doubt I’ll ever top him
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.