Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Declining Turkeys

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    We've already brought them back from the brink one time and honestly, we're not at that point yet nor do I think we will be.
    As stated before, there are plenty of birds in areas where there doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

Also, every state in the country is looking at what is happening and following the research right now.
    Many states are making seasonal related changes ranging from the use of decoys to bag limit changes.

I firmly believe that some combination of the enacted changes from state to state will prove to work for those areas with serious population decline.
    In the interim, everyone needs to police themselves and do what is right for the longevity of the species.

I for one, did not hunt our property the first three weeks of the season other than the youth weekend.
    My reasoning was two fold, the science said April 9 most hens in my area have initiated nesting and I had several guests hunting that weekend and I wanted things as fresh as possible.

Regarding the reasons we have seen such a decline......I think one of the primary reasons is disruption to the breeding cycle by starting the season too early.
    It took years to see it happen possibly because the population in most areas was on a natural decline to reach an optimum population level for the surrounding habitat.

During the natural decline, turkey hunting gained popularity and hunters have become more efficient at the killing part.
    Wannabe hunters can sit in a pup tent with a flock of decoys and actually kill birds......I think it has been a perfect storm of events and poof......it happened!

I also think the early start date for three years in the upstate was a major fuk-up and too many birds were killed in areas already touching the void.
    I am a very active landowner and also a certified wildlife biologist, but I am NOT a research biologist so much of what I just said is opinion based on facts and time afield.

I've learned a lot in the last year from Chamberlain, Collier, Jay Cantrell, and others involved in the research.
    Thanks for your response.

Whenever I was younger I remember hearing that parts of my county (Marlboro) was closed to turkey hunting. Does anyone know if that's true and if so, how long was it closed?

Dave Baumann pushed for a later start in the 90's. I remember a legislator telling him he saw flock driving the Capitol they were fine. A Rep from Georgetown told once he saw DNR as janitors, only there to clean up he was there to manage. Then he ranted about losing taxes from Woodbury.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    Thanks for your response.

Whenever I was younger I remember hearing that parts of my county (Marlboro) was closed to turkey hunting. Does anyone know if that's true and if so, how long was it closed?
    Yes, that was true.

As well as the majority of the state.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

It was closed all season,

And for many years the season limit was only 2 in Marlboro County.