Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Declining Turkeys

Dr. Chamberlain at UGA is doing extensive research on the decline of wild turkeys. His interviews are enlightening.

Wild turkeys are heading the way of bobwhite and mallards for SC hunters. It's only a matter of time before some POS starts kick'n shoot turkeys. "Just like the real thing".

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Wild turkeys are heading the way of bobwhite and mallards for SC hunters. It's only a matter of time before some POS starts kick'n shoot turkeys. "Just like the real thing".
    No,....this will be corrected and a non issue in short time.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I may have missed it on the last thread, but what do you think are the most contributing factors?

Hawks and coons. Does anybody shoot coons, or just pull the dogs off the tree? Hawks are everywhere.

I heard an interview yesterday from a perspective that I have not heard before. It essentially contributed the decline to taking out both the Alpha and the Beta male. By doing so, the natural reproduction cycle is messed up. Unlike whitetail, the birds are only able to mate at very specific time and will not “come back in” if they are not bread unlike the whitetail deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i really hope you're right cali. i know that you know more about wildlife managment than most on this board, can you expound a little bit on why you think the turkey population will bounce back?
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

So Cali, we can start shooting Owls and Hawks?? Hell yeah.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    So Cali, we can start shooting Owls and Hawks?? Hell yeah.
    Give me the green light, I dare you!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

We've already brought them back from the brink one time and honestly, we're not at that point yet nor do I think we will be.
    As stated before, there are plenty of birds in areas where there doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

Also, every state in the country is looking at what is happening and following the research right now.
    Many states are making seasonal related changes ranging from the use of decoys to bag limit changes.

I firmly believe that some combination of the enacted changes from state to state will prove to work for those areas with serious population decline.
    In the interim, everyone needs to police themselves and do what is right for the longevity of the species.

I for one, did not hunt our property the first three weeks of the season other than the youth weekend.
    My reasoning was two fold, the science said April 9 most hens in my area have initiated nesting and I had several guests hunting that weekend and I wanted things as fresh as possible.

Regarding the reasons we have seen such a decline......I think one of the primary reasons is disruption to the breeding cycle by starting the season too early.
    It took years to see it happen possibly because the population in most areas was on a natural decline to reach an optimum population level for the surrounding habitat.

During the natural decline, turkey hunting gained popularity and hunters have become more efficient at the killing part.
    Wannabe hunters can sit in a pup tent with a flock of decoys and actually kill birds......I think it has been a perfect storm of events and poof......it happened!

I also think the early start date for three years in the upstate was a major fuk-up and too many birds were killed in areas already touching the void.
    I am a very active landowner and also a certified wildlife biologist, but I am NOT a research biologist so much of what I just said is opinion based on facts and time afield.

I've learned a lot in the last year from Chamberlain, Collier, Jay Cantrell, and others involved in the research.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 05-10-2021 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    Hawks and coons. Does anybody shoot coons, or just pull the dogs off the tree? Hawks are everywhere.
    Funny you ask that. My buddy and I were hanging out on the tailgate after a successful hunt this past year. A truck comes sliding down the gravel road stopping every couple hundred yards or so to call. When he gets to us he starts talking about how there aren't any turkeys left and he's about done turkey hunting. He'd "rather coon hunt anyway" he says.... so my buddy asked him, "do you come down here to coon hunt?" He replied that "he normally hunted in this area roughly 2-3 times a week." So my buddy asked him "well how many coons are you shooting out of a tree every year?" The guy said "less than 40 probably, I only shoot 'em out for a young dog or if I have kids with me that want to shoot them." My buddy told him he would probably help the turkey population out if he started shooting more. He replied "I don't want to kill em all, Id rather coon hunt than anything."
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

wish diehard turkey hunters would catch and release more often. that might help.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    wish diehard turkey hunters would catch and release more often. that might help.
    I have three almost brand new looking tags in my vest. I'd love to tell you it's because I chose to keep 'em. Do I get the conservationist of the year cookie?

Only if you pick on someone who used a jake decoy and videoed the hunt.

i thought you didnt eat cookies?
    what is this world coming to.....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

We've already brought them back from the brink one time and honestly, we're not at that point yet nor do I think we will be.
    As stated before, there are plenty of birds in areas where there doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

Also, every state in the country is looking at what is happening and following the research right now.
    Many states are making seasonal related changes ranging from the use of decoys to bag limit changes.

I firmly believe that some combination of the enacted changes from state to state will prove to work for those areas with serious population decline.
    In the interim, everyone needs to police themselves and do what is right for the longevity of the species.

I for one, did not hunt our property the first three weeks of the season other than the youth weekend.
    My reasoning was two fold, the science said April 9 most hens in my area have initiated nesting and I had several guests hunting that weekend and I wanted things as fresh as possible.

Regarding the reasons we have seen such a decline......I think one of the primary reasons is disruption to the breeding cycle by starting the season too early.
    It took years to see it happen possibly because the population in most areas was on a natural decline to reach an optimum population level for the surrounding habitat.

During the natural decline, turkey hunting gained popularity and hunters have become more efficient at the killing part.
    Wannabe hunters can sit in a pup tent with a flock of decoys and actually kill birds......I think it has been a perfect storm of events and poof......it happened!

I also think the early start date for three years in the upstate was a major fuk-up and too many birds were killed in areas already touching the void.
    I am a very active landowner and also a certified wildlife biologist, but I am NOT a research biologist so much of what I just said is opinion based on facts and time afield.

I've learned a lot in the last year from Chamberlain, Collier, Jay Cantrell, and others involved in the research.
    thanks for the well thought out response.

we have some property that historically has been great at producing turkeys. mix of all ages of loblolly pines with a fairly substantial hardwood bottom and ~40 acres of food plots.

the past few years we have seen a noticeable decline in turkey population, similar to other people throughout the state. we have policed ourselves, and are fortunate to have other properties we can hunt. we have not shot a bird off the place either this year or last year. i agree that the past few years have been a perfect storm to hurt the population. in the midst of natural population decline, whether due to seasons opening too soon, habitat loss, or predators, covid hit and we had a huge influx of people hunting these birds. i'm sure some of that extra pressure carried over into this year as well.

i respect your opinion so i'm surprised and happy to hear that you think this is a temporary lull and that the population can come back. the podcasts i've heard chamberlain on he didn't seem to be as optimistic, but i could be putting words in his mouth.

i am happy that the state seems to be receptive to making changes to help the birds, and try to be taking steps to get the population on a rebound.

one positive is that i've seen more jakes hunting this season than i have in the past 3-4 in our area...hopefully the weather will cooperate and we can have another good hatch this year.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Cantrell is a Wren guy....can’t be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i thought you didnt eat cookies?
    what is this world coming to.....
    I'd eat it if I won it. I feel it would have been well earned with the number of miles I put in walking.