Thread: Progressive solution to progress

Default Progressive solution to progress

Greenville County Council voted 7-5 Tuesday evening to send back a rezone proposal to Planning and Development that would allow for nearly 500 new homes in an undeveloped section in the western part of the county.

Right now, 152 acres across from Grove Elementary School, is zoned industrial. But, property owner Phil Hughes and Hughes Investments are pushing for it to be zoned residential, which would allow Meritage Homes, a home building company, to build 481 homes.

“The issue is whether or not you want it to be industrial or would you like to see houses there,” said District 17 Councilman Joe Dill Tuesday afternoon. “So that’s the decision that we’ve got to make. I don’t think that’s a good place for industrial, but it’s ideal for houses.”

Opposition comes especially from District 25 Councilman Ennis Fant and District 26 Councilman Lynn Ballard. The property falls in both of their districts.

Both said they were concerned the home values of existing homes in the area -- some of which have been there for generations -- would skyrocket and lead to gentrification.

“The second you do reassessment, it drives up the value of these houses that are worth $100,000 to $150,000 now,” he said. “People who are seniors on a fixed income, the math shows that they would either have to sell or unfortunately lose their homes,” Fant said. “That is unacceptable. That should not be something that we’re doing to citizens of Greenville County.”

Hughes told WYFF News 4 entry-level homes there would be priced in the low $200,000s.

He said if the rezoning is approved, Meritage would set aside $400,000 for road improvements, $82,000 for sidewalks and that 17 of the 152 acres would be set aside for affordable housing.

Hughes also said Meritage will also set aside $200,000 to donate to Greenville County for homebuyer education programs, if approved.

No word as of Tuesday evening on when further action would be taken on the proposal.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/upstat...oject/36334244

Uhmm, they could easily write in a clause that kept the rate the same for those homes, unless they were sold, thus protecting their fixed income constituents. I’m sure they got some hands out waiting on a convincing.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I’m sure they got some hands out waiting on a convincing.
    Correct. That and the CEO of Meritage's putting his conservative values on display during the last election cycle.

The upshot will be that future projects in already developed areas like this one, will start to be pushed out and into friendlier zoning areas. Know what we call those areas now? Hunting clubs...

Did he just buy that land?
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Good lord I need to move. $200k for a new house in a nice part of the county. $400k won’t get you out of the ghetto in Charlotte right now.

The location where this is if I’m not mistaken is not great. District 25 and 26 meet in the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Good lord I need to move. $200k for a new house in a nice part of the county. $400k won’t get you out of the ghetto in Charlotte right now.
    I'm sure those houses will be 1,100 sq/ft with a slab foundation and 60x80 lot
    Last edited by Remy; 05-05-2021 at 02:27 PM.

Government is over-reaching.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Act 388 prevents a rise assessed value of your house from increasing because of a sale of another house.

Reassessments are limited by the act to a small incremental rise as a timed event.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Act 388 prevents a rise assessed value of your house from increasing because of a sale of another house.

Reassessments are limited by the act to a small incremental rise as a timed event.
    So, the sale of your neighbor's house can't immediately cause your assessment to go up, but if your neighbors' homes values increase based on recent sales, it's ok for the assessed value to go up every two years when reassessed? Do I have that right?

Nobody complains about the increase in property value when they go to sell. If you want the equity then the taxes should be cool too.

But property taxes are theft regardless. If only a conservative republican felt the same and would champion that cause.

And define "affordable housing".

Platinum accommodations on a plastic budget?

I think reassessment is a hoax and scam all together. Tax value should be based on the last known and proven value and that would be the actual sale price. If a family wants to keep and live in a house forever, their tax bill shouldn't be decided by some curbside wild guess at what it might sell for or by the price of the McMansion some yankee builds next door. The millage rate can be adjusted periodically to make the necessary revenue goals. This would incentivize keeping old houses intact, renovation of existing properties, less sprawl and not running old people out of their homes. The ideal would be to buy an old home, lock in the tax basis, then renovate the hell out of it to suit your needs. We'd have less sprawl and urban core decay.