Thread: 2021 Season

Default 2021 Season

I have had a strange season to say the least. I live for this time of year and normally spend 2-3 days/week at the base of oak listening and watching the world come alive. I ended up only spending a total of 5 days in the turkey woods at daylight. I killed a bird opening morning on my family farm which was a textbook hunt off the roost. I took some time off the following week as it was my son's Spring Break and he had week free of High School Baseball. We were on the hunt for his 1st Longbeard.

At daylight we worked some birds and ended up having 7 Jakes in our lap that he could have beat with the gun barrel. After that we were off to plan B to see if we could work some other birds we heard on the roost. We got on some birds an hour later and called in 2 more Jakes wanting to crawl in our pocket. It was fun and they put on a good show nonetheless. We walked and called for a couple hours to no avail. We finally made it back to the truck around 10 and changed clothes. As we were enjoying a quick snack and talking about the morning fun I heard a bird gobble on his own in the river bottom. He gobbled a few more times and I told my son let's gear back up and head his direction. He wasn't too convinced and said that's probably those same 2 Jakes we worked earlier in the AM. I know after all these years you never leave a bird gobbling late morning in the woods!

We suit back up with minimal excitement in his eyes. We walked down the road about 100 yards, I yelped and he cuts me off. We eased up pretty quickly on the road to try and drop down in river bottom. I wanted to get a good idea of where he was so I called again and was cutoff with another gobble and much much closer. We jumped off the side of road as the woods would not allow us to move any closer. It wasn't but a minute or two and he was putting on a show coming down the road to us. He connected on his 1st Longbeard and I think he will always go after a gobbling bird even after he's changed clothes. I even got it on film with my phone.

With the new regulations and not being able to hunt more while he was off school.and baseball it kinda put me in a funk not being able to go. Hopefully the funk will be short lived!

My bird (4-1-21)

Son's bird (4-6-21)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Congratulations to both of you. Thanks for sharing.

Nice work and great pictures

Congrats! Well done!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Good stuff, congrats to you both.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Congrats

Great video as well
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Did anyone else get into the "funk" with new regs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Congrats to you and your son!

Very nice.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter