Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freshwater Gator vs. Saltwater Gator

Default Freshwater Gator vs. Saltwater Gator

So, a spotted trout tastes better (okay, different) than a bluegill.

I eat both. The bream just taste like freshwater fish and the spotted trout taste like fish.

Background: I literally grew up on the Cooper River. I was given a 14 foot boat with a 5 1/2 HP Evinrude just before my 12th birthday Sarge let me keep it chained on the bank at his place. All I had to do to run the river was ride my bike a half mile, jump in and go - I did this a lot, every day in the summer. I know the Cooper to the point I even recognize the smell. I'm like a little, baby Salmon that knows his home waters just because the smell is so unique and familiar.

The only alligator I've killed came from those same waters. He tastes like the Cooper River.

If I'm looking for one to eat, would I be better off focusing on the Intercoastal or Cape Romain area next time?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Flavor in any critter is in the fat. You dont want to eat gator fat. That's where the mercury is.

Ergo you wont be able to tell a difference unless you enjoy eating thermometers.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I am interested to see the thoughts on this, although I gave up eating gators after the Parris Island boat crash.

We may have eaten some "saltys" at Fripp when I was really young, but all of the ones I ever killed were freshwater...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Flavor in any critter is in the fat. You dont want to eat gator fat. That's where the mercury is.

Ergo you wont be able to tell a difference unless you enjoy eating thermometers.
    Yep - I cleaned all the fat and connective tissues I could.

Gator taste like whatever spices are in the breading. They rank below chicken as far as flavor goes and that's way on down there.

But if you draw a tag BB will guide you and Gert will clean it.

All for free of course.

I just signed you up for a bread of the month club.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Just forwarded your cell number to the crazy cat rescue lady as a resource for helping feral cats.

I will say that Gert is no slouch behind a knife, the best I've seen is CCLeroy. That fool can practically smooth talk anything out of it's hide.

I’ll just say this when I worked with DNR and helped with some of the alligator research, one of the guys told me they took a tissue and blood sample from one of the biggest and oldest alligators on one of the properties in Georgetown and he had trace amounts of DDT still in his body....I don’t eat wild shot alligator anymore...at least the big ones
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

Most folks have only eaten it fried as "gator bites". You could bread and fry cotton balls dipped in menhaden oil and they'd taste similar. I tried it pan sauted and it tasted like a cross between pork chop and fish, but stringier and more chewy. I consider it novelty meat that is most valuable as a give-away gift to people that don't know any better. I will endeavor to never put myself in the position of having to clean another one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If by some strange happenstance, I had to get one to eat, I’d want a 6-8ft lizard out of the lower Edisto.

Preferably between Canadys and Jacksonboro where the water still flows good
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Most folks have only eaten it fried as "gator bites". You could bread and fry cotton balls dipped in menhaden oil and they'd taste similar. I tried it pan sauted and it tasted like a cross between pork chop and fish, but stringier and more chewy. I consider it novelty meat that is most valuable as a give-away gift to people that don't know any better. I will endeavor to never put myself in the position of having to clean another one.

100% right here...that and Bogs take. The 6' give or take is the cleaner tasting. I've cooked the cheeks out of some 8 ftrs before just like you would a wahoo steak and they turned out pretty dam good...also cooked them out of larger ones that tasted like mud. Cheeks and tails is the only thing I mess with and most of that is "gifted"
    Last edited by Pass shot; 05-04-2021 at 08:40 PM.

The Cooper River gator in question was 7' 8", 110 lbs - perfect eating size, so I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

This right here.

I can eat it but not on my list of choices if I get to choose. Most of the gator I have ever eaten tasted like a tough chicken breast.

Fried gator is good when you are drinking with your buddies, just let them get a few drinks ahead of you and fry the gator first. Once they are almost full go ahead and get the chicken out for yourself
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I've eaten a bunch of gator in my time. The only way I can say it truly impressed me as food was when I was in Cameron Parish and one of the coonasses had some made up into Boudin. It was damn good. Of course, most meats made into Boudin are.

Long way of saying, gator just doesn't rank too high on the list of meat I will eat and enjoy. It 's too chewy and rank. The next one we whack will probably get run through the cuber. Maybe cubed , breaded, fried and covered in onion gravy will improve it.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Palmetto Bug gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I will say that Gert is no slouch behind a knife, the best I've seen is CCLeroy. That fool can practically smooth talk anything out of it's hide.
    At this time I will take that as a compliment, 4 am on said morning cleaning that nasty joker, not so much. I've cleaned a ton of them and wont touch another. I categorize gators the same as I do hogs.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 05-05-2021 at 07:22 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/