Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Moving the season back.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post

Long video but very informative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everybody should watch this.

I have not watched that video but I will.
    Mike is obviously at the forefront of wild turkey biology and research, is well respected, and has most hunters ear right now.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I’m convinced the chicken and turkey litter is 60% of it. This is based on a new farmer coming in and starting that where it has never been done before. A lot more too it than that, but I’m sure this takes them out
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Y’all want to blame everything but killing too fucking many birds. Let’s get rid of chicken litter, decoys, fanning, blinds, TSS, etc, BUT let me keep killing 3 turkeys... Lying ass bullshitters.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Y’all want to blame everything but killing too fucking many birds. Let’s get rid of chicken litter, decoys, fanning, blinds, TSS, etc, BUT let me keep killing 3 turkeys... Lying ass bullshitters.
    Tell them how you really feel FLS

"They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    I’m convinced the chicken and turkey litter is 60% of it. This is based on a new farmer coming in and starting that where it has never been done before. A lot more too it than that, but I’m sure this takes them out
    But then you have places like my uncles farm. He puts out chicken and turkey litter like it is going out of style. No turkey problems what so ever over there. Then take my land and it’s almost like they don’t exist. 15 acres of year round food plots and we burn on a 4 year rotation and never use litter.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    But then you have places like my uncles farm. He puts out chicken and turkey litter like it is going out of style. No turkey problems what so ever over there. Then take my land and it’s almost like they don’t exist. 15 acres of year round food plots and we burn on a 4 year rotation and never use litter.
    How big is the property, how long since it held birds either winter or spring flock, what has changed, do you have nesting cover.... I'm interested?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    How big is the property, how long since it held birds either winter or spring flock, what has changed, do you have nesting cover.... I'm interested?
    Which one the one that does have or does not have turkeys.

Does not....

Does not....
    850 acres of well managed pine plantation. Usually plant 10 acres of grain type food plots in May June. Then we plant 10 acres of clovers and other winter food plots. The entire property is on a 4 year burn rotation with 50 acres burned yearly for quail.

That leaves plenty of what I have always perceived as prime turkey habitat. We have some hardwoods but what we lack the neighbors have. We have a great relationship with them and in all, it’s about 3000-4000 acres of well managed habitat. This year we did not kill a turkey of this property because the neighbors and I feel there were 2 long beards in all. If you have any specific questions I will be happy to answer and take any suggestions on things that could help.

So the neighbors have no birds as well?

One of my main pros of that theory is that the big wma’s with no crop land close by seem to be doing great.
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    850 acres of well managed pine plantation. Usually plant 10 acres of grain type food plots in May June. Then we plant 10 acres of clovers and other winter food plots. The entire property is on a 4 year burn rotation with 50 acres burned yearly for quail.

That leaves plenty of what I have always perceived as prime turkey habitat. We have some hardwoods but what we lack the neighbors have. We have a great relationship with them and in all, it’s about 3000-4000 acres of well managed habitat. This year we did not kill a turkey of this property because the neighbors and I feel there were 2 long beards in all. If you have any specific questions I will be happy to answer and take any suggestions on things that could help.
    So, you burn 250 acres of pine every year?
    Of the 250, 50 acres of the same pine timber is burned every year?
    Last edited by Calibogue; 05-09-2021 at 02:01 PM.

Ha.

So the neighbors have no birds as well?
    I know there is another thread going on but questions were asked in this one. Calibogue that is Correct, they are seeing a lack of birds as well. Lets say we average 200 acres a year not including the 50 acre quail preserve that's burned every year. It varies year to year but that would be our average.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 05-10-2021 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    Get rid of male decoys and 90% of the people hunting will never kill one.
    I wouldn’t go that high but it will make a difference without a doubt. Enough people will scream about loosing them that they won’t do anything about it. It like spinning wings people have been programmed that they have to have it or you can’t kill ducks
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    I wouldn’t go that high but it will make a difference without a doubt. Enough people will scream about loosing them that they won’t do anything about it. It like spinning wings people have been programmed that they have to have it or you can’t kill ducks
    There is a large portion of people out there that couldn’t kill a turkey without a decoy

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Over the last decade I feel like ducks have smartened up to the spinners, now I realize this is debatable, and in the right scenario, right species, new ducks, early season, etc they are still effective. I wonder will turkeys ever get wise to decoys? Seems like most critters evolve over time and adapt to man made things for survival.

Quote Originally Posted by welltaut View Post
    Over the last decade I feel like ducks have smartened up to the spinners, now I realize this is debatable, and in the right scenario, right species, new ducks, early season, etc they are still effective. I wonder will turkeys ever get wise to decoys? Seems like most critters evolve over time and adapt to man made things for survival.
    Are you proposing that natural selection will eliminate a turkey being prone to not attack or dominate what he perceives as a rival from a reasonable facsimile of a male turkey?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton