Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Moving the season back.

Quote Originally Posted by welltaut View Post
    Over the last decade I feel like ducks have smartened up to the spinners, now I realize this is debatable, and in the right scenario, right species, new ducks, early season, etc they are still effective. I wonder will turkeys ever get wise to decoys? Seems like most critters evolve over time and adapt to man made things for survival.
    Dead turkeys don’t evolve very well!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Are you proposing that natural selection will eliminate a turkey being prone to not attack or dominate what he perceives as a rival from a reasonable facsimile of a male turkey?
    No, I’m wondering if the birds will start to pick out decoys as decoys....fakes....and not charge in every time they see one. Realism in turkey decoys has improved exponentially in the last decade.....I think (almost hope) it could stall for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by usrgce View Post
    Dead turkeys don’t evolve very well!
    Their flock brothers might though.....but it doesn’t seem to be happening so far. Damn decoys are so realistic nowadays it’s amazing.

No. Theyre birds. Their brain is responding to a hard wired stimulus. From the time they hatch out an eggshell it is a turkeys nature to establish a pecking order. Dominant gobblers didnt become dominant by running from other birds. They fight them.....
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    No. Theyre birds. Their brain is responding to a hard wired stimulus. From the time they hatch out an eggshell it is a turkeys nature to establish a pecking order. Dominant gobblers didnt become dominant by running from other birds. They fight them.....
    The wild turkey is also highly adaptive. Their survival depends on it. I do believe turkeys are becoming decoy wise. One of the reasons I stopped using them years ago is because more turkeys turned around then what would commit.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    The wild turkey is also highly adaptive. Their survival depends on it. I do believe turkeys are becoming decoy wise. One of the reasons I stopped using them years ago is because more turkeys turned around then what would commit.
    Turkeys aren’t decoy wise. You could take the same longbeard, hunt him all season with him giving you the slip, the day that he is ready to die he will come running in with wreckless abandon. That’s just the way they are.