Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving the season back.

Default Moving the season back.

https://www.thestate.com/news/politi...224958975.html

Wild turkeys are being over-hunted in South Carolina as sportsmen take advantage of a 4-year-old law that made it easier to kill the popular game birds, state wildlife managers say.

Despite plummeting turkey populations, the Legislature agreed in 2015 to start the spring turkey-hunting season 10 days earlier throughout much of the state. That was part of a change that gave sportsmen about three extra weeks to hunt.

Now, state wildlife managers say they are seeing evidence that the turkey population — already declining — is suffering even more.

TOP ARTICLES
    Columbia police identify suspect in Five Points burglary, sexual assaultMajor downtown Columbia bridge to close Sunday for special eventParts of Lexington County placed under burn ban. Here’s why
    COVID vaccine live updates: Here’s what to know in South Carolina on April 30SC lawmakers may soon have to follow stricter rules to use state planesSouthern soul food meets Philly hoagies at a restaurant coming to Village at Sandhill
    SKIP AD
    Parts of Lexington County placed under burn ban. Here’s why
    Parts of Lexington County placed under burn ban. Here’s why
    A new study found the birds aren’t reproducing as often, which, biologists say, is a bad sign for future wild turkey populations. Meanwhile, hunters report killing 18 percent more turkeys each year since the hunting season was changed, according to the S.C. Department of Natural Resources.

“It looks like hunting may be playing a bigger role than we thought in the past, ’’ said Charles Ruth, turkey project supervisor at Natural Resources. “Something has changed.’’

Crafty birds that also make tasty meals, wild turkeys have been on the decline since 2002, when their S.C. population peaked at about 176,000, according to the wildlife agency. Today, the population has dropped to about 123,000, at least partially because of over-hunting, according to Natural Resources..

During a hearing Wednesday, legislators said they were trying to help turkeys recover when they agreed in 2015 to let sportsmen begin hunting in mid-March, instead of waiting until early April throughout much of the state. As part of the 2015 deal, legislators passed a tougher bag limit that they thought would help populations recover. The earlier start date to the hunting season was to appease turkey hunters.

But the tougher bag limit didn’t make much difference.

Instead, Natural Resources and the National Wild Turkey Federation said the earlier start date and longer hunting season are the problems. Male birds that are ready to mate in mid-March — prime mating season — now are being killed, making it harder for females to find partners, according to a study that wildlife agency officials gave to the Legislature this month.

The study, prepared during the past four years and headed by LSU researchers, recommends beginning the turkey hunting season no sooner than April 5 and ending it in early May to help populations recover.

ot everyone likes that idea.

During a state Senate committee hearing Wednesday, some hunters and legislators questioned the study’s findings and bristled at the suggestion that hunters are to blame for the lower turkey population.

Sen. Stephen Goldfinch, R-Georgetown, asked whether coyotes and state land management practices, such as intentionally burning land to clear thick forest vegetation, are having an impact on the turkey population. Others also said bad weather, habitat loss and other predators are taking a toll.

“Hunters should be the last thing that we look at as the problem,’’ Goldfinch said. “In most cases, hunters are the solution.’’

But the National Wild Turkey Federation endorsed Natural Resources’ proposal to cut back the hunting season. Officials of the group, which promotes conservation for turkey hunting, said lawmakers are misguided in questioning the recent study, adding the state needs to correct its mistake from 2015.

“You don’t want to believe data that’s been four years generated by real biologists? That doesn’t make any sense,’’ said Larry Deas of the Turkey Federation. “Y’all legislated the change .... with no research, and it has devastated the turkey population.”

In addition to the longer, earlier hunting season, the decline of turkeys also could be attributable to more efficient hunting techniques by the state’s 50,000 turkey hunters, Ruth told the Senate committee.

Sen. Chip Campsen, R-Charleston, said he plans to introduce legislation this year to move the date of the turkey hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    said Charles Ruth, turkey project supervisor at Natural Resources. “Something has changed.’’
    Now do white bass. Then quail. Then ducks....

Or ducks, then quail, turkey, white bass, flounder, crappie...

I blame cormorants for all.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Hunting is probably having a greater impact now than it did 20 years ago, because we are removing habitat at an imprrssive pace. Look at the lowcountry now, compared to twenty years ago. Homes, factories, shopping plazas, homes, and more homes. Im sure the removal of habitat is the leading driver behind reduced turkey populations.

If it’s over harvesting of turkeys that’s causing the decline cut it back to 2 tags. I’m not convinced that’s the biggest problem though. Dang near everything in the woods are predators to a turkey at some point in their life. Snakes, coons, hawks, coyotes and I’m sure I’m leaving something else out. Best thing you can do if you want turkeys to hunt in the years to come is manage your property/lease accordingly. Get rid of as many predators as you can, hunt your birds accordingly, and keep a good food source for them.

PS....outlaw the use of fans in any way shape or form

I don’t think it’s any more complicated than more people are hunting and killing turkeys. Greater access to information and more efficient hunting tactics with the use of male turkey decoys. Turkeys are taking a beating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman

Shoot the birds where I hint are just now getting cranked up and the season is out. I battled 2 yesterday afternoon for 2 1/2 hours in an open bottom only to have 4 Jake’s come in and run them off . I had a few opportunities this year to kill, but I didn’t pull the trigger this year in the 8 years I’ve been turkey hunting. At least my boy got one though.
    867-5309

Something needs to change if we are going to have a huntable population in 20 years. I think anyone paying attention should be able to see that. I am in touch with a lot of folks that spend a lot of time turkey hunting across this state. They are ALL worried. I manage my places as I see fit, but not everyone does. I’m in favor of any reasonable changes that allow hunting now, and works to ensure we can have quality hunting in 20 years and beyond.

Make youth weekend the first weekend in April, and the grown ups get to play the following Monday. Outlaw fanning (that is coming). 1 per day. 3 per season. 2 for out of staters. There’s no. Way the Plano Synergies of the world will allow the outlawing of male turkey decoys, so there’s no sense in fighting that fight.

Something has to change. We are in a pretty serious downhill slide, and it may be too late for parts of the upstate
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

2018 estimated harvest 17939
    2019 estimated harvest 17374
    2020 no posted
    2021 harvest data 9600

( people must be using discretion or the harvest is way down )

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    https://www.thestate.com/news/politi...224958975.html

But the National Wild Turkey Federation endorsed Natural Resources’ proposal to cut back the hunting season. Officials of the group, which promotes conservation for turkey hunting, said lawmakers are misguided in questioning the recent study, adding the state needs to correct its mistake from 2015.

“You don’t want to believe data that’s been four years generated by real biologists? That doesn’t make any sense,’’ said Larry Deas of the Turkey Federation. “Y’all legislated the change .... with no research, and it has devastated the turkey population.”

Please stop overlooking this part.

My only hope is that one day we’ll wake up in this country and exercise predator control at the polls and not just in the woods.

I think one bird per hunter is gracious plenty. Nobody is feeding there family for the year on wild turkeys.

I say we drop the limit of Turkey to two and everyone gets one hawk tag.

We can trap raccoons and possums and coyotes. But the hawks are wreaking havoc on everything unabated. Go stand in any field, any field of your choice, and watch for 20 minutes. I guarantee you that you will see at least one hawk cruising over or posted up waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Coons possums skunks coyotes bobcats and wild hogs can't fly.

If a varmint can fly, they are deemed untouchable and are worshiped by the USFWS.

people are stupid.

conservation permit allows 5 hawks and 8 owls to be harvested. We all need to do our part. If you havent got your permit, call dnr and get one monday
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Outlaw decoys/fans etc....that’s an obvious first step

Quote Originally Posted by sc sportsman View Post
    I don’t think it’s any more complicated than more people are hunting and killing turkeys. Greater access to information and more efficient hunting tactics with the use of male turkey decoys. Turkeys are taking a beating.
    This is exactly what the problem is. Exponentially more people turkey hunting that when I started in the 80s. Exponentially more people doing everything as far as that goes.

Outlaw full strut decoys and fanning.
    3 birds per season, 1 per day
    Push the season back to April 1st or 5th and run through the first week of May.

As much as I would love to go back to killing 5 birds a season in SC I doubt that will ever happen again. The two properties I manage for turkeys have bounced back the last few years, I trap them heavily and will only shoot 1 bird max off each place, I occasionally let them rest for 2 or 3 years without hunting them at all. Kill everything you can that eats eggs and Turkey poults.

Quote Originally Posted by camotoon60 View Post
    I think one bird per hunter is gracious plenty. Nobody is feeding there family for the year on wild turkeys.
    Don't be silly, it never needs to drop below 2 or nobody will ever tag a turkey again.....

Get rid of male decoys and 90% of the people hunting will never kill one.

There is a lesson to be learned from Arkansas. Their season is 14 days long right now! Ours will be the same if legislators don’t wise up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk