Thread: Lake O -- Florida

Just wandering if anyone in the forum ever heads down to Lake Okeechobee Florida? I hunt this lake pretty regularly and just returned from early teal. We only averaged about 1 per hunter per day this year on the teal. The lake is so low we were pushed so far out of the marsh that you just couldn't get to where they were. We had a ton of Florida Mottles interested in us though. We must have had about 25-30 land in the dekes one day, even once while my brother was out picking up a downed teal. Two came in while he tried to stand perfectly sill, they must have landed no more than 20 feet from him. Of course come regular season when they're legal they'll be nowhere to be seen, as anyone knows who's hunted the big O.

The lake is currently at 10'above sea level as of today. It will take another foot or two to make it useable for outboards. If it doesn't come up, the fishing camps will surely suffer an economic disaster this winter. I live within 30 minutes of Harney Pond and hunt the lake several times as year. It will be an airboaters dream this year.

Deadly Dave, I'm supposed to fish a tournament there in Jan Your recent rains haven't brought the O up? What will it take to come up to normal? Thanks, Bob

I know what you mean about the level Deadly. We hunted the outskirts of Indian Prairie for early teal. We had to set up all the way out at the edge of the grassline with only inches of water under the boat. There was no way an outboard could have gotten even as far as we did. We heard that some airboaters where able to hunt further in, but I think even they had to get out and walk to get to the best areas, where they were demucking.

Bob,

The lake made 10' this week. IF the water level doesn't reach 11.5' minimum you won't be fishing it.
    Is this the FLW tour system? I hear that they are talking about moving the whole trail to Lake Toho or Kiss. farther north.
    I would check with your tourney director or the lodge you are staying at before committing.

Thanks Dave,
    I'm fishing the BASS Open. FLW is supposed to move. Please keep me posted. bob@fishingwithbob.com <http://www.fishingwithbob.com> Bob Sanders

Dave, Thanks, BASS move the tournament to the St John's
    River, Palatka. Bob

Dave who are you? Im originaly from LaBelle and if you've been around 30+ yrs Im sure I know u or your family. The family name is Greer as in Glades county tax collector and Assessor or many other relitives in and around the area. PM me if you like Id like to know. Daniel
    Kill em all, let the dog sort em out!

Daniel,

My last name is Blood. My wife's family has lived in Lake Placid for 60+ years. She is related to a cattle/citrus family that has been here just as long. I will shoot you a Pm and we can talk about it. I am away from home right now, so it will be a few days. I had trouble logging on and had to start over. Sorry about the delay getting back to you.

Bob..are you fishin as a boater or non boater..ill be there as a boater..