Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Public is Dangerous

It’s all pinhoti’s fault

I hardly post. I creep a lot. But after what happened this morning and then reading this, I feel I should chime in.

1. Turkey hunting takes room. Go to a different gate. One that is far away enough that both of you can safely hunt different birds. Know the land and who can access what from where.

2. Be respectful, and do not attempt to go after a vocal bird if you know that someone else is closer, and especially if said hunter is already calling and set up on the bird.

3. If you think its a hunter, it probably is.

4. I cant get over the fact that people just dont give any room? Look man, if you got beat to the spot, go somewhere else. You dont want someone trying to force their way in between you and a bird, don't do it to others. Turkey hunting public is already dangerous, why make it worse?

This morning I was at my listening spot, a half mile walk into the woods an hour before light. As light comes, I hear multiple vehicles tearing into the woods. All of them get out and start owl hooting, and the bird that Ive already located and was making moves on, of course gobbles. I owl hoot back to these fellers (a terrible sounding hoot mind you), and they immediately answer with a hoot. I hear them get back in the truck, drive past where im parked (so they know im already in here for sure at this point), and try to slip in on this bird through some non-existent backndoor. At this point im already in tight on the bird when I multiple truck doors slam. The bird was hot on the roost, gobbling at dew drops, so im sure he was heard for a mile. Twenty minutes go by, and here they come 3 seperate parties try to move in on this bird im already on, all of them yelping into oblivion. On a Tuesday morning! Of course as soon as they start the yelping party, he went quiet. So if you're reading this, you know who you are. Please use this as a learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Clarification: Getting shot can happen to anybody regardless of experience. You can take plenty of preventative actions, but at the end of the day there are a lot of idiots out in the woods.
    I can’t think of single scenario where I’m hunting with somebody I don’t have full trust in.

In the extremely rare cases (can’t think more than 4) where I’m hunting with somebody I’m not long term friends with, by nature I position myself where I’m NEVER in their fire line.

Disclaimer: I’m not a turkey hunter, but if I was:

I couldn’t for the life of me, entertain the idea of hunting them on a WMA.

There’s WAAAAAAAY too many turkeys on non-hunted public lands, and too many turkey hunting buddies with private.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I will pray for the man who was shot tonight.

I can’t imagine what he’s going through.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I want to know who the shooter is to Make sure I stay away from that asshat
    Windows Down!

Another shot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Usually experience hunters doing something they have done dozens of time. Here a gobble then something walking toward them and never verify. Never think I cannot happen to you...
    Hell ,I always I assume it's a person if I hear walking. It has cost me a bird or two before, but it often is a person that walked past my truck to move on a bird gobbling to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I never can understand how someone could shoot a person while turkey hunting.

Even if you hear a gobble you have to distinguish a hen from a gobbler.
    This

And from 25'? No way this guy should get off with no charge if it was from 25' away. There's no excuse. NONE. I don't care if the shooter is partially blind.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Hell ,I always I assume it's a person if I hear walking. It has cost me a bird or two before, but it often is a person that walked past my truck to move on a bird gobbling to me.
    I was hunting with a buddy in SNF a few years ago, I knew he had a gobble call with him. I was off a creek and had a bird gobbling and coming in. It would gobble a blast to my every call, I cussed my buddy cause I just knew it was him in the creek playing a joke on me. I got up and walked back to the truck and he was there eating lunch. I had just left a red hot gobbler in the creek like a dumb ass, probably wont do that again

Once, I heard a poor excuse for owl hooting and yelping an hour after daybreak. I had called once obnoxiously to let them know I was there and not a turkey. I heard them kicking leaves and breaking branches 20 minutes later walking my way. I stood up ready to cuss the jackleg for moving in on me. Turns out that it was a very surprised gobbler that met me at the ridgetop. The other hunter actually had backed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    That is what’s wrong with this country. Dillon roof shoulda never saw another sunrise. We need swift justice. Old Testament justice. Then people will tjink twice about doing dumb shit
    AMEN! We should go back to public hangings!
    If You Bait them They Will Come!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1 View Post
    I was hunting with a buddy in SNF a few years ago, I knew he had a gobble call with him. I was off a creek and had a bird gobbling and coming in. It would gobble a blast to my every call, I cussed my buddy cause I just knew it was him in the creek playing a joke on me. I got up and walked back to the truck and he was there eating lunch. I had just left a red hot gobbler in the creek like a dumb ass, probably wont do that again
    Did something very similar once. Had been moving on a gobbler and just set up when some trespasser started walking toward me rapidly making the worst sounding gobble I've ever heard. I jumped up and charged after that trespasser ready to give him an ear full and ran slap into a nice long beard closing fast.
    Carolina Counsel

Any updates on the most important part of the story?? What is the condition of the man who got shot??
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

One thing you folks need to consider - what you hear and read is hardly ever what really happened.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Any updates on the most important part of the story?? What is the condition of the man who got shot??
    Update today was he's much better. Still not "released" from the Dr. No complications.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    One thing you folks need to consider - what you hear and read is hardly ever what really happened.
    I've heard the side of the guy that was shot. I'd love to hear from the shooter.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    yeah. Did you see the reports of what happened on Reelfoot vs. what is thought to have happened now? Completely different story than the one that was originally portrayed and thought to have happened.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by Mobetter View Post
    I've heard the side of the guy that was shot. I'd love to hear from the shooter.

So let me get this straight. Some guy shot another guy in the face while hunting on public land. Said shooter left the scene without trying to help the victim and then ran from the victim later on when he saw him saying, "yeah, I'm the one that shot you"?

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    yeah. Did you see the reports of what happened on Reelfoot vs. what is thought to have happened now? Completely different story than the one that was originally portrayed and thought to have happened.
    Never saw the official report- just the survivors version about how a missing elderly man shot everybody