Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Docks

I've had "conversations" with the folks who fish on boat ramp docks after they have a dozen rods cast in different directions and refuse to pull anything up so I can tie off and get my truck backed into the landing.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

those same people would be the first to sue the dock owner if, when they go to untie, they get a splinter or have to get a tetanus shot.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I wouldn’t even consider tying up to a strangers dock to fish. If I know the person that owns it, that’s different and there are several docks on greenwood that I worked with the owner to put out brush around it.

The water seems to draw out the worst in people at times.
    I got cussed out on greenwood last week. Went to check a shellcracker hole and came around the corner of the cove, eased off the throttle and made sure I didn’t see another boat or anyone fishing off the docks, picked up a little speed again and went on to the back. Now I’m in a Jon boat with a 25hp on the back so it ain’t like I was flying through.

I cut off the engine, was dropping the trolling motor when I heard someone holler at me. I turned around to hear what he was saying and he immediately started cussing at me (he was a yankee) for cutting his fishing line. Apparently he had a rod laid off the pier and wasn’t attending it while he was up in the yard, I never saw a cork or any evidence of his line in the water when I came by. I apologized and told him that I had never saw his line and continued toward the spot I had in mind. The whole time I was trolling away he was cussing and told me he’d be waiting on me when I came back out. I think I caught three off the spot but they weren’t stacked up so about 15min later I left. Sure enough, here he comes back down the pier with his phone in hand as if he’s videoing me. I just kept a steady pace down the middle and waved for the camera as I rode back by. The whole time he’s videoing, he’s making other motions with his hand that can’t be seen from the camera. He kept grinning and motioning for me to come closer to him and even grabbed at his nuts a few times.

I may have very well cut his line, if I did it certainly wasn’t intentional and thinking back I really didn’t feel as if I had done anything wrong the way I drove through the cove. I was kind of dismayed someone wanted to act like that over something so trivial. Then the fact that if I had approached him, based on the video he was taking it would have appeared as if I were the one antagonizing him when that really wasn’t the case at all. Not sure what his problem was but I was having too good a day to get in a no-win pissing contest with some old Yankee.
    Make sure the line isn't in your prop cutting the seal up.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Id never tie up to some ones dock. Ill fish it but I wont tie up to it. I've seen people get mad for just fishing around theirs before. I just laugh at them. I've stuck my boat in an empty dock to get out of a monsoon before but I try not to bump and rub along it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Fishing docks is perfectly fine. If there's someone in the yard I typically cast a time or two and move on. Tying up is asking for trouble that defeats the purpose of fishing. S.C. lakes are way overcrowded. Georgia lakes are the way to go if you can get there.

Noted. The georgia side of the lakes are less pressured.

Joking. I know you don't mean the lakes we share a state line with. Ive been on Oconee a handful of times from when I dated a girl down that way. That lake seemed to always be crowded to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    People that would say something about that situation will also install 2X4 wire to keep you from casting under their dock.

In Airport slough there are 2 or 3 docks in a row that have roped off their own area of the lake from the public.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Maybe you are just referring to someone else but just to be clear, that is not me. I stated just the opposite.
    I said "You can 100 percent fish by and under private docks on Lake Hartwell. I don't want anyone to think I am proposing that is not ok. It is the tying up part that I'm asking about." Nothing about that implies trying to prevent dock fishing. Public property access is something that should be protected.

Do you think fishermen should tie up to private docks just to make it easier to fish?
    Last edited by DJP; 04-27-2021 at 11:17 AM.

No
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I've had "conversations" with the folks who fish on boat ramp docks after they have a dozen rods cast in different directions and refuse to pull anything up so I can tie off and get my truck backed into the landing.
    That's when you call the green jeans and let them write a ticket

no

(your* still a dick though)
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I may have very well cut his line, if I did it certainly wasn’t intentional and thinking back I really didn’t feel as if I had done anything wrong the way I drove through the cove. I was kind of dismayed someone wanted to act like that over something so trivial. Then the fact that if I had approached him, based on the video he was taking it would have appeared as if I were the one antagonizing him when that really wasn’t the case at all. Not sure what his problem was but I was having too good a day to get in a no-win pissing contest with some old Yankee.
    Good for you, showing restraint, being wise in a situation with an instigator and his phone cam.

Docks in SC are private property, tying to them violates state law, fishing around and under them is 100% legal. Roping off the area between 2 docks is illegal- however most are doing it for a kids swimming area.

A dock owner that tells you to leave, gets mad when you don't, and sprays you with water is guilty of assault and interfering with lawful fishing- 2 separate charges.

Don't tie up to someone's dock- you wouldn't want to come home from work and find a strange truck parked in your driveway- or some stranger sitting on your porch.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Maybe you are just referring to someone else but just to be clear, that is not me. I stated just the opposite.
    I said "You can 100 percent fish by and under private docks on Lake Hartwell. I don't want anyone to think I am proposing that is not ok. It is the tying up part that I'm asking about." Nothing about that implies trying to prevent dock fishing. Public property access is something that should be protected.

Do you think fishermen should tie up to private docks just to make it easier to fish?
    I wasn't referring to you.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

What you need is a lockable pop-up cleat. That’s a good invention.

the real question is would he have tied up to your dock if you were on it when he pulled up........probably not, but you handled it properly
    student and child prodigy of the "Professor's" duckology!

I know some private docks that hold a lot of sheepshead. As far as I can tell, the owners don't even know they are there. At least for me, I can't catch them unless I tie off. Personally, I have a problem with the appropriation of tidal water that is otherwise public by dock owners. I mean, who the fk gives the owners of Pawley's Pier Village the right to declare a 300 foot "no surfing zone"?. So, I tie off if I feel like it. Sorry, just a stream of conscienceness rant.
    Last edited by GMAC; 04-29-2021 at 08:36 PM.

A community dock. Hmm. Nuance enters the discussion.

Mushroom anchor is the answer to the no tie up rule- pull in- drop the anchor on the back side of a piling- let the current/wind position you properly and fish the spot- not illegal per DNR

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    I know some private docks that hold a lot of sheepshead. As far as I can tell, the owners don't even know they are there. At least for me, I can't catch them unless I tie off. Personally, I have a problem with the appropriation of tidal water that is otherwise public by dock owners. I mean, who the fk gives the owners of Pawley's Pier Village the right to declare a 300 foot "no surfing zone"?. So, I tie off if I feel like it. Sorry, just a stream of conscienceness rant.
    Would those areas hold sheepshead if the docks weren’t there?

I don’t know the specific area you’re referencing, but I would think there are ways for you to fish those docks without tying up to them.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Whether or not they are aware there are sheepshead under the dock is irrelevant.

Once you tie up you are breaking the law.