Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audubon says...

Two things I know.... there’s nothing to eat here and it doesn’t get nearly as cold as it used to. Of course I could be mistaken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    Are you saying that the food is holding them up there?
    That’s exactly what I’m saying.

It is mind boggling how many hundreds of thousands of acres of corn are flooded north of us.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    I'm saying it's a factor.... Even if food doesn't freeze it would run out and they would still need to move but if they have an endless buffet of food why would they...
    A good portion of ducks migrate to migrate, otherwise Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Mexico would never have ducks. All of these locations have ducks and get ducks early in the season. But like you said why would a duck leave food to come to SC where there is no food and some dude set up on every clump of grass or island of trees. Hunting was good not too long ago and the guys that blame warmer weather are lost in my opinion. We get cold fronts and no ducks now. There is no reason for birds to come here.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Go check out Tony vandemores Instagram from yesterday. There’s no telling how many acres of corn he just planted. And the ice eaters up there. Honestly, more power to him. But he’s still short stopping ducks.

Mallards and other “big ducks” don’t have to come south. Divers and little ducks keep coming no matter what. Why? I’m coming off a worst season ever possibly. Why? Weather sucked in my opinion. Freeze line stayed well north until February. Although the wood ducks fucked us too. Why? I had food, but I flooded October 12th. My average flooding date. This year I’ll wait until nov 1. Why? Because they ate me out in a month and moved on.
    Go Tigers!!!

The dynamics of migrating fowl are very complex. But it really comes down to FOOD and PRESSURE. Too much food everywhere so no reason to migrate for food purposes. Too much pressure everywhere in the southern half of the country. Numbers are not necessarily the problem at the moment.

2020/2021 “The great white north” was closed to OOSERs.

Although eastern CAN is not a mecca for waterfowl tourism, it did create a lack of pressure to mobilize birds.
    (just putting it out there)

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSprig View Post
    2020/2021 “The great white north” was closed to OOSERs.

Although eastern CAN is not a mecca for waterfowl tourism, it did create a lack of pressure to mobilize birds.
    (just putting it out there)
    I’ve thought on this before your post. I don’t disagree but only time will tell.
    Go Tigers!!!