Thread: Weed control in sesame

Default Weed control in sesame

I’m thinking about planting it this year for doves. Tell me everything I need to know for grass and broadleaf control pre-and post emergent.

Also when do I need it need to get it in the ground? Thanks
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 04-23-2021 at 04:29 AM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

To the top. Some of your clowns have planted this before filled me in! Also will it grow if I broadcast it?
    12-26-98 12-1-13

I planted some a couple of years ago on a flat dragged fertilized seed bead. Covered it lightly with an 8 ft rake behind the tractor. It didn't amount to much.........Could da been my sandy soil. I remember the seed was expensive. This year in addition to corn/sunflowers and Brown Top I planted Egyptian Wheat. It makes large seed heads. Planted some many yeas ago and it worked. As usual I left 20 ft blank strips between each planting section. I keep these open strips clean and raked to allow the doves to get on clean dirt. Also grind corn in them and later will broadcast wheat on them.
    WE finally got 1 1/2"of rain Saturday........Hallleeluuyaa!

Croma, I usually planted in early June. Try to disk at least three times prior; letting the area regenerate/sprout between discings. Plant mine in 36" rows using sorghum plates in the 71s; I get much better production row planting than broadcasting. I sprayed Clethodium/Volunteer over the top to knock the grasses back about a month in. It will shade out the rest once it takes off. Sesame seems to go real slow at first, then takes off. Usually nothing to offer except cover until the second season. Don't plant in on the same dirt the next season.

One of the best dove fields I ever shot in Gilbert had strips of Benne mixed in as Slaya describes. One negative - all the non targeted bird species that aerial assaulted the benne. The Doves seemed to hammer it too.

One thing for sure - lots of small seeds . Once mature, it doesn't hold up to rain too well as I remember. Great for the first few shoots though. Good luck
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Plant it in 36 inch rows. If you don't have sorghum plates you can mix the seed with grits at a 4 to 1 ration grits to sesame and plant it in the corn planter. There is no broadleaf control after emergence. Treflan and Dual Magnum can be used preplant them grasses later can be knocked back with clethodim. We cultivate it once or twice as it is slow to get out of the ground. Then hit it with clethodim a little later and that seems to work well.
    \"I feel sorry for people who don\'t drink. When they wake up in the morning, that\'s as good as they\'re going to feel all day.\" - Frank Sinatra

OK I planted some today, but I broadcast it since I didn’t know how to use my new planter.LOL!! I broadcast it at about 10
    pounds per acre. I know that’s on the heavy side but I read is better to have it too thick than too thin.
    Also, I read that you don’t want fertilizer to touch to see as it will destroy the seed. Not the easiest stuff in the world to plant for sure.

We’ll see how it turns out. Hoping for the best but time will tell.
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 05-09-2021 at 05:43 PM.
    12-26-98 12-1-13

That is pretty thick. We have had good luck with it on sandy soil. Not hard to grow once you get it out the ground. Sure makes late season shoots a lot more fun. And my favorite thing about it is the deer won't eat it!
    \"I feel sorry for people who don\'t drink. When they wake up in the morning, that\'s as good as they\'re going to feel all day.\" - Frank Sinatra