Thread: Any Real Estate Attorneys??

Default Any Real Estate Attorneys??

Any real estate attorneys on this site? Or someone that knows the ins and outs of having a lot subdivided in Charleston County?

8 acre lot, marsh front, with 4 acres of high ground. Looking to purchase, but need to be able to carve out about 1/2-1 acre for my mother in-law (I know, I know) to build a house. I don’t really care to subdivide it, but chas county residential zoning prevents a 2nd dwelling over 800sq ft if I’ve read correctly...

Anybody have any insight? Or know someone to put me in touch with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They should send you a copy of their subdivision guidelines/regulations. It’s likely that you can subdivide of the new parcel still has 50’ of road frontage or you may be able to provide easement to the second lot if the first one has 50’. That’s how it is in many counties but check those regulations to be sure. A local surveyor may know those guidelines if they do a lot of work in that county. It’s very possible a surveyor can advise you on that better than a real estate attorney. You will however need a real estate attorney to search the title to be certain there are no deed restrictions preventing it from being subdivided. Your best bet is likely to put a contract on the property contingent on the ability to subdivide. It may take you a little while and require a little money (for a site plan/preliminary survey to submit to the county planning dept as well as a title search)to get a solid answer to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    They should send you a copy of their subdivision guidelines/regulations. It’s likely that you can subdivide of the new parcel still has 50’ of road frontage or you may be able to provide easement to the second lot if the first one has 50’. That’s how it is in many counties but check those regulations to be sure. A local surveyor may know those guidelines if they do a lot of work in that county. It’s very possible a surveyor can advise you on that better than a real estate attorney. You will however need a real estate attorney to search the title to be certain there are no deed restrictions preventing it from being subdivided. Your best bet is likely to put a contract on the property contingent on the ability to subdivide. It may take you a little while and require a little money (for a site plan/preliminary survey to submit to the county planning dept as well as a title search)to get a solid answer to your question.
    Thanks for the advice, I just feel like I’ve been reading and reading until my head is gonna explode on the damn zoning commission website. They don’t make it easy for a man to research himself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

843-202-7200

Call that number. Talk to them and they should answer your questions.