Thread: Salvaged vehicles

Default Salvaged vehicles

Assuming the vehicle was properly repaired. Is the savings worth it? How do you determine the value.
    I have found a few that look like a pretty good value for what I need but I'm a little unsure about the salvaged titles.
    This will be mainly a computer car for my 80 mile a day trip to and from work.
    Thanks for the help.

Yes. I have one and it’s been a great vehicle.

Outside of some ins co’s not allowing physical damage coverage you’ll be good to go. One of my favorite trucks was a totaled rebuild.

Farm truck or commuter car that you plan on running into the dirt and never sell, it could be worth it if there is a huge dollar savings. To my knowledge most banks won’t loan on a salvage title. So you have to pay cash, then if you decide to sell your buyer would also have to pay cash. This may have changed, but I know my bank won’t loan on salvage.

I’m sure others have different findings, but I’ve never seen one that was exactly right. A front tire might wear faster than the other, gauges and electronics start acting strange, or some other form of gremlin. But for a commuter car at half price that you plan on never selling, it might be worth a look.

It depends on the damage- I bought a F150 4x4 on here that had low miles and in great condition- had a bull bar on the front for pushing cows out the way, a month later it was hit on the side of the bull bar while stopped setting off the air bags. Ins totaled it. 2 air bags, 1 windshield, removed the bull bar and you could never tell it was totaled except for the title- truck was still perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Yes. I have one and it’s been a great vehicle.
    Bought to be...had

This varies state to state. Some banks/ credit unions will loan. In most cases, the seller/ repair shop should have photos as well as the car fax showing the damage. Years ago, I bought a few, had them fixed, and drove the wheels off of them.

In 2001, I bought a 1996 F250 XLT 7.3 Ext cab long bed 4wd w/ 76k miles for $7200 that i literally drove home from the salvage yard. Left headlight, and a light repair to the hood and fender around the headlight and i was rolling. I had $8500 in it fixed. brought 15k 3 years later with 150k miles on it.

A handful of Toyotas trucks as well.

In most states if not all they have to be inspected by the state.
    Double Secret Probation Officer

I bought 2010 tundra couple years ago with 90k miles on it. Paid about half what similar non salvage title tundras were going for. Have almost 150k on it now and have had no issues.

Im not concerned about financing it and as long as the car works out for me than I should have it long enough the next person won't be financing it either. Is there a standard percentage off say kbb value or just whatever you feel comfortable paying? The ones I'm considering are about $3k to $6k below a similar car with a clear title.
    Thanks for all the input.
    Does SC require an inspection?

No inspections

I had an 07 Chevy 1500 salvage. Bought it real cheap with 30k miles and ran in it till it had 300k. Replaced the transmission ones and that was it other than minor issues.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Depends on how bad, how old or who did the repair. My daughter's first vehicle was a salvage title. It was a little hyunda with 46,000 miles on it. Old lady hit a deer and it was totaled because of the age and value of the car. Bought it for $1200, put a front bumper cover on it and boom. $1500 first car.

My brother owns a body shop, so I'd drive anything they repaired. Other shops that I don't know, maybe not.