Thread: Broadcasting help

Default Broadcasting help

I am way behind this year and do not have time to plant my 8 acre field. I am planning on broadcasting dove proso and possibly 2 acres of sunflowers. How much of each do I need to broadcast per acre? I have read any where between 12 and 25lbs/acre - that is a big difference. Any tips would be appreciated.

I'm no farmer but I don't think you're going to have much success broadcasting sunflowers.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Broadcasting its really up the stand your wanting to create. Peredovik sunflowers and millet are cheap so id spread the max. Prep is key and after you spread the seed I always like to run the disc back over it so that the blades are down just deep enough to turn, I do the cover up in high range so its throwing the dirt pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    I'm no farmer but I don't think you're going to have much success broadcasting sunflowers.
    Not true. We have done it multiple times. It may not look as pretty as the rows but it does produce.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

So do you remember the rate you spread the seeds at?

For best results, spread 200lb per acre on August 18th. Do not disc in until September 15th.
    Kill big, kill often

Quote Originally Posted by roltide View Post
    So do you remember the rate you spread the seeds at?
    We always go on the heavy side, but I don't remember the numbers. I always end up running a tiller the whole time. My stepdad does the spreading. We also have a lot of deer pressure and have formulated a theory that broadcasting the sunflowers makes it harder for the deer to eat them. Our theory is that, once they get larger, the deer can't walk down each row nipping off the sweet parts they like. I don't know if that's true or not but our stands don't have near the damage in the middle of the field as they used to see. The outsides still get worked over though. Another plus seems to be weed control. The random planting seems to shade out the ground more.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Some seed companies sell a dove field mix designed to be broadcast- most have sunflowers, buckwheat, millett, etc- then they add clover and call it a deer plot mix

says 40 lbs per acre mix of buckwheat and peredovick sunflowers

https://georgiaforages.caes.uga.edu/...l-grasses.html

Millet is 25 lbs per acre broadcast.

Thank you buddy

These were broadcasted. Cheap ones too

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk