Thread: Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease

Default Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease

Deadly disease for rabbits continues to spread, concerns SC officials

BY NOAH FEIT

APRIL 20, 2021

Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease is a life-threatening virus that affects domestic and wild rabbits. Here is what you need to know about the disease and how to prevent spreading it. BY WARREN STERLING

The spread of a disease that’s almost always fatal for rabbits is concerning to the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources.

Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Virus-2 is a highly-contagious disease that affects all rabbits, DNR officials said Tuesday in a news release.

Both domestic pets and wild rabbits, including those at breeding facilities, are at risk of contracting the fatal virus, according to the release.

Humans are not susceptible to the virus, but they can inadvertently spread the disease, DNR officials said.

“This is a highly contagious disease that can persist in the environment for a very long time,” DNR Small Game Project leader Michael Hook said in the release. “These factors make disease control efforts extremely challenging once it is in wild rabbit populations.”

The disease has not been reported in South Carolina, according to DNR. But an outbreak began in 2020 in the southwestern U.S. and cases of the virus have been confirmed in Arizona, California, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Utah, Wyoming, Mexico, and most recently in Florida, the release said.

The virus is transmitted by direct and indirect contact, Hook said. Direct contact occurs when a rabbit comes into physical contact with an infected rabbit or the urine or feces of an infected rabbit, while indirect contact occurs when a rabbit comes into contact with objects contaminated by the virus, including clothing worn by people who have handled contaminated objects or infected rabbits, according to the release.

Also, the virus can be spread through rabbit products such as fur, meat, or wool, DNR officials said. Insects, birds, rodents, predators, and pets have also been known to spread the disease, according to the release.

Symptoms of the disease include loss of appetite; lethargy; high fever; seizures; jaundice; bleeding from the nose, mouth, or rectum; difficulty breathing; and sudden death, DNR officials said.

Sick or dead rabbits should not be collected or handled, Hook said.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...250805224.html

I bet China’s involved. Bastards.

Lock down the rabbits to their hutches and get a vaccine ASAP.

That’s just what we need. Our rabbit numbers are at an all time low.

Putting salt bricks out is one way to increase the population in and around the areas you hunt.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Putting salt bricks out is one way to increase the population in and around the areas you hunt.

How do salt blocks help rabbit numbers?
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 04-20-2021 at 06:52 PM.

Studies were done in a 50 acre pen. They split it into two 25 acre enclosures. They put equal numbers of rabbits on each side and the population doubled on the side with supplemental salt. They think salt intake eliminated parasites.

I can not find the study but it was done at Cornel or Purdue University.

Last edited by Catdaddy; 04-20-2021 at 07:09 PM.

Hot dang, I’m about to buy tractor supply out!

Indiana knows they like some rabbit hunting

I got a seasoned salt block in the works. Available in buttermilk ranch and diet Mountain Dew flavors.

Rabbits love my salt blocks.

We need something that kills coyotes.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    We need something that kills coyotes.
    We have heart worms.

Big T I think Everlast has a shitpile of Ivomec if you need a dealer. Pro tip. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Studies were done in a 50 acre pen. They split it into two 25 acre enclosures. They put equal numbers of rabbits on each side and the population doubled on the side with supplemental salt. They think salt intake eliminated parasites.

I can not find the study but it was done at Cornel or Purdue University.

Traditional Parasites (intestinal, bacterial, fungal, insects, etc), or viral disease? I don’t know shit about this rabbit virus for the record.
    Also, much like any other feed/supplement a salt block may draw wildlife closer than it would otherwise naturally be and inadvertently spread infection if it is actually that successful at drawing them in. Just my .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk