Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    I understand the formula, but does anyone have knowledge of how the assessed value is legally supposed to be obtained by the county auditor in SC? I went in to pay the taxes on a new to me boat and was hit with more than what I thought they'd run. Lady behind the desk says they just go by the NADA Retail value and roll on. When I politely asked for an explanation, the Edgefield County Auditor gave a very less than polite response and walked away.
    Not sure if you can find out what previous owner paid but I recently acquired a boat from my parents. Went through the whole paperwork process. Charleston county billed me significantly more than what my parents were paying. I called and noted the discrepancy and the guy on the phone immediately adjusted back to where it was, and even a bit under for depreciation. Might be worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    Main reason why I like old crap
    I went to pay taxes on my sneak boat that just turned 15 years old and there no taxes. I was confused walking out the auditors office with a receipt for $0 to send DNR.

They get their number from DNR. EVRY YEAR Dnr sends the wrong number and I have to go to the Richland County assessors office and they take it off the roll. It goes from 300 something $s to zero.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Do they send out tax bills for boats yearly? Did not get a tax bill for my boat last year but got one for the motor, just got this years for the motor too but still nothing for the boat...

Richland County

*2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

I've got a 2003 boat and motor, 268$ on the boat and 59 on the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHeadRocker View Post
    I've got a 2003 boat and motor, 268$ on the boat and 59 on the motor.
    You should check on that. That doesn’t seem right. I have a 2003 boat and motor no taxes on them.

i hate property taxes!

I had a discussion with assessor about their determined value, because they appraised my hull with motor and then sent a separate bill for motor. I had to explain to them that I was paying double tax on motor. Finally they understood what I was saying and significantly lowered my total tax bill.

I suggest to y'all to check the value and make sure you are not getting double taxed.

I’m sure counties are different but is there and age “limit”? Will they still tax you on a 30-40 year old boat?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    I’m sure counties are different but is there and age “limit”? Will they still tax you on a 30-40 year old boat?
    I believe so. Ive never been taxed on my 1994 war Eagle that Ive had since 2011.

Feeling better and better about my ‘95 duracraft e’ry day.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Depends on the county. Each county sets its own rules and rates. I know Lex and Rich are bad, glad I moved to Calhoun.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by codeman216 View Post
    I believe so. Ive never been taxed on my 1994 war Eagle that Ive had since 2011.

I just paid taxes on a 1990 hull in chas.

Quote Originally Posted by cusportsman View Post
    Do they send out tax bills for boats yearly? Did not get a tax bill for my boat last year but got one for the motor, just got this years for the motor too but still nothing for the boat...

Richland County

They should, but then you are putting a lot of faith in a flawed system. My parents said something similar about not getting a tax bill or whatever and I assumed I would end up owing it when they gave me their boat but so far neither of us have heard a thing.
    My guess, COVID shutdowns. Probably get a bill around 2025.

Edgefield County 03 boat and 04 motor: no tax on boat this year for the first time and 66.62 on an 04 Honda 130. I started to give an extra dollar so I didn't have to write a 3 6's in my checkbook. I'm hopeful that this is the last year for tax on the motor.

08 boat and motors, $1800 for the boat, $230 per motor. It won't be long before the boat gets federally registered and "moved" to florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

My 6 year old came up to my desk the other night as I was sorting through tax bills. She picked up one for the boat and asked, “ What’s this bill for Daddy?”

“Well honey, this is the property tax bill for the boat”

“ What’s a tax bill Daddy?”, she replied.

I gave her a short lesson on what property taxes are and who/where they go to.

It took her all of .02 seconds to reply with, “But Daddy, you’ve already paid for the boat , why are you having to pay for it again?”

Brilliance from the mouth of babes. I told her she was exactly correct, and I wished those people in government were as smart as she was.

Proud dad moment
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

235 Cobia with a F225 Yamaha.

Richland county got me for 900 on the boat 650 on the motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Sometimes the boat and motor are exempt due to the age of the person listed as the owner, not the age of the boat. So you can check before you buy and it says "no taxes owed"; however, do not do what I did and assume that the taxes and or registration are current. A boat and motor I got from a member last year, who never delivered the title for either, is still with DNR investigations right now trying to get the title worked out. Of course, if this member would like to be a man about it and do the right thing, it would be far less of a hassle.

In this case, the last true, registered owner of the boat was old and now deceased. So my cursory review (along with trusting another man's word) led me to believe that the registration and taxes were current. BTW the SC DNR laws say that it is illegal to sell a boat with taxes owed. Maybe at least this new yearly registration will help with some of this. Taxes? Not so much. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by mhogancu View Post
    235 Cobia with a F225 Yamaha.

Richland county got me for 900 on the boat 650 on the motor.
    thats nuts to me. 1550 just for the right to own a boat there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Sometimes the boat and motor are exempt due to the age of the person listed as the owner, not the age of the boat. So you can check before you buy and it says "no taxes owed"; however, do not do what I did and assume that the taxes and or registration are current. A boat and motor I got from a member last year, who never delivered the title for either, is still with DNR investigations right now trying to get the title worked out. Of course, if this member would like to be a man about it and do the right thing, it would be far less of a hassle.

In this case, the last true, registered owner of the boat was old and now deceased. So my cursory review (along with trusting another man's word) led me to believe that the registration and taxes were current. BTW the SC DNR laws say that it is illegal to sell a boat with taxes owed. Maybe at least this new yearly registration will help with some of this. Taxes? Not so much. MG
    Can the guy be charged if its illegal to sell with taxes owed?