Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat Taxes

Default Boat Taxes

I understand the formula, but does anyone have knowledge of how the assessed value is legally supposed to be obtained by the county auditor in SC? I went in to pay the taxes on a new to me boat and was hit with more than what I thought they'd run. Lady behind the desk says they just go by the NADA Retail value and roll on. When I politely asked for an explanation, the Edgefield County Auditor gave a very less than polite response and walked away.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I have to sit in the Richland County Auditor's office to raise immortal hell almost annually.

Remind that sonofabitch that he works for taxpayers of which you are one.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Write a nice letter to them requesting a review and state your case. They will likely modify it for you. Show them some proof like a bill of sale or something.

Just pay the damn taxes. Gotta fund all those skool upgrades brah......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Get an appraisal from a dealer, Hull and motor is all they can tax you on so tell them to leave the other shit off, they should already know that.

Buy a piece of property in a more friendly state.
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Scott Cooper was "supposed to get that changed from 10% to 4%. It could be done in three readings.
    Edgefield County is criminal. I had a brand new Ranger Reata tritoon. Between the boat and motor, they wanted right at 2K a year for taxes.

Lexington and Georgetown counties are getting greedy too.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

add dorchester to the greedy, scum list.

I didn't pay boat taxes in Calhoun County. I need to establish permanent residence in TN

I started figuring property tax on everything in Edgefield County......eff them and their 10 Gubnahs

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    I started figuring property tax on everything in Edgefield County......eff them and their 10 Gubnahs
    I remember you had an issue on property tax resolved. I have had a total of zero positive encounters with the Auditor's Office in Edgefield...
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Get an appraisal from a dealer, Hull and motor is all they can tax you on so tell them to leave the other shit off, they should already know that.
    Probably going to have to go this route. When I asked which dealer he preferred, so that I didn't get the run-around again, he suggested "any of em in Lincolnton, GA". I said "so you want me to drive 70 mi out-of-state to have an appraisal done and you haven't done one yet?" He informs tells me about how he don't have time to argue and walks off.
    Go Tigers!

I just got a bill for a 2018 Yamaha 250 - just the motor. $735.

That's complete

I have a 1990 monarch with a 99 merc 25 my NC property tax was $4.

Register your rig out of state. $40 ever two years works great for me.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Should have added that the seller's Lexington Co. taxes were a 1/3 of what Edgefield hit me with.
    Go Tigers!

Newberry ain't no choke anymore
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

They're just guessing. They're not boat experts, or land experts, or anything else deemed "property" experts for that matter. They just collect what the man tells them to. Who is it that said "our first duty as a citizens is to question authority?"

Anyway, Sumter Co. has a form for this very reason. Think you're getting taxed too much? Challenge it and get an appraisal. They'll likely drop it the assessed value, cause more often than not the value they have on hand is more than what it's actually worth. 'Shoot high and not many people will question it' seems to be their motto.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Main reason why I like old crap
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"