Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moving to cha and need some advice

Default moving to cha and need some advice

I just got some news that I am going to be moving down to charleston this year. I am shocked this worked out, but now I guess I need to understand if keeping the 1503 is worth it or do I need to upgrade.

The boat has done me very well but it does need a new floor If I was going to keep it, so I need to understand the area a little better and decide if I should fix it up or am I better off selling it and buying something bigger anyway. The boat market right now is insane and the boats that are worth $10k are going for $15k. The last thing I want to do is spend $15k on a boat that is really only worth $10k and it probably still have some issues that need fixing here and there.

I could keep what I have , get a new floor/transom, add a good wireless trolling motor, touch up a few things here and there and maybe spend $4-5k to have it running and looking great. I mainly fish alone or with one other person so the idea of having a smaller boat is a plus; easier to store, launch and if I fix it up I know that it is in top shape.

I dont know where we will end up but close to some ramp or another. If I had to use the 80/20 rule, since I mainly enjoy fishing the shallows anyway I would prioritize using it around the marshes in james isl, mt pleasant/iop probably 80% of the time (fishing, crabbing, shrimping, sandbar or just joy riding with the kids). I know the boat will perform in the shallows, but I don't want to limit myself to just redfish in the marshes. The other 20% of the time I would like to be able to get on some bigger water and try my luck off the rivers (remlys, wappoo ,etc. ) and be able to head up/down to the bridges , docks and get to the flats off the river. I am assuming that getting to the jetties is out of the question, but i'd love to hear thoughts on that too.

thanks in advance

For many years- I fished anything I wanted inshore with either a 14' McKee or a 14' Sundance skiff with a 25 tiller, also had a 15' lowe jon boat with a 25 for a while- if the 1503 is a Hi Tide- you are good to go- fished in my buddies 15' Hi Tide for many years.

And I fished the jetties with all of those boats

If fishing is your 80, a 20-23ft CC is ideal from dock fishing for trout and spottails to offshore out to 100ft.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Granted I see Relentlous 13 miles offshore in a 15ft whaler and watch him disappear below the swells on his way home
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    For many years- I fished anything I wanted inshore with either a 14' McKee or a 14' Sundance skiff with a 25 tiller, also had a 15' lowe jon boat with a 25 for a while- if the 1503 is a Hi Tide- you are good to go- fished in my buddies 15' Hi Tide for many years.
    Like I said, I dont have a desire to spend the extra money on another boat, so if this boat will do all of what I need it to do I am happy. so I appreciate the personal experience, it helps a lot. But seriously, I was kind of kidding about the jetties. You really took those boats out there ?

I fished my 14' Monarch w/25 for years outa MI. Ten Mile, 3 mile and 6 mile all the time if the weather was right. Finally got another boat when people said I was crazy and gonna die one day. This was along time ago with nothing but a compass and PVC rod holders with pipe straps. I miss them days
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

To answer the core of the question, unless you are going to do the work yourself, I don’t think I would pay to have the floor replaced vs buying a different hull to put the motor and all on.

Sure you can use a 1503, but the 20-23 CC recommendation above will be a better fit unless there is a specific style of fishing you really want to focus on.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    Like I said, I dont have a desire to spend the extra money on another boat, so if this boat will do all of what I need it to do I am happy. so I appreciate the personal experience, it helps a lot. But seriously, I was kind of kidding about the jetties. You really took those boats out there ?
    I actually fished the 14 McKee out to 90' bottom fishing on glassy days and my Sea Pro 19 bay boat out 55 miles catching dolphin a couple times. We fished the jetties on a very regular basis in the small boats- just need decent winds.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Granted I see Relentlous 13 miles offshore in a 15ft whaler and watch him disappear below the swells on his way home
    Lol. You’d be surprised brother on what I’ve done in what! Or maybe you wouldn’t be! I was hell in my old mans 15 alumicraft with a 25 evinrude. I wasn’t suppose to go past Morris island light mind you I was 12-15 years old. Dad wouldn’t of appreciated where I was going.
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    To answer the core of the question, unless you are going to do the work yourself, I don’t think I would pay to have the floor replaced vs buying a different hull to put the motor and all on.

Sure you can use a 1503, but the 20-23 CC recommendation above will be a better fit unless there is a specific style of fishing you really want to focus on.
    If the market wasn’t where it’s at I probably wouldn’t think about keeping the high tide, but I can’t find a decent boat under $15k and that’s with only a semi decent motor, and by the time I find it, it’s already sold.

I was looking at a few key west 1720’s but all had crap motors, worn out paint, ripped cushions and not worth spending the $10k on.
    Last edited by duckz; 04-18-2021 at 06:19 PM.

I appreciate the fedback, that gave me what I needed to know. I may decide to sell it, but at least I know its a possibility.
    Now what I really need to do is bring the boat down and spend some time out there before I really make up my mind. The issue is that I am 2hours away and dont feel like hauling the boat every time I want to come down. Eventually I will be there sure, but it would be nice to get a jump on things by being out there.

Are there any cheap month to month storage places anyone could recommend ? Anything close to the beach, doesnt matter where ; James isl, Mt. P, just nothing too far away like Goose creek or Summerville. Im sure summer storage is hard to find but maybe someone here might know a guy

Keep what you have for now. it is more than sufficient. A 20-24 ft center console will give you more range and space but not necessary. Welcome to Charleston. You aren't from Ohio are you?
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    I appreciate the fedback, that gave me what I needed to know. I may decide to sell it, but at least I know its a possibility.
    Now what I really need to do is bring the boat down and spend some time out there before I really make up my mind. The issue is that I am 2hours away and dont feel like hauling the boat every time I want to come down. Eventually I will be there sure, but it would be nice to get a jump on things by being out there.

Are there any cheap month to month storage places anyone could recommend ? Anything close to the beach, doesnt matter where ; James isl, Mt. P, just nothing too far away like Goose creek or Summerville. Im sure summer storage is hard to find but maybe someone here might know a guy
    dm me. i might can help you w the boat issue.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

There are 2 words you need to remove from your vocabulary if you move to charleston or any of the tri county area- cheap, and convenient. Nothing down here is either 1, much less together in the same sentence. You need to come down here during the week and check out things to see what is "normal". But, I have you a new catch phrase and you will say it often, "this sucks". About everything. And when you meet all the yankees andl mid westerners that came here and think you should do it their way, you will learn a whole new vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    Keep what you have for now. it is more than sufficient. A 20-24 ft center console will give you more range and space but not necessary. Welcome to Charleston. You aren't from Ohio are you?
    haha no, grew up in the Carolinas. I will message you in a second

Quote Originally Posted by Moose843 View Post
    There are 2 words you need to remove from your vocabulary if you move to charleston or any of the tri county area- cheap, and convenient. Nothing down here is either 1, much less together in the same sentence. You need to come down here during the week and check out things to see what is "normal". But, I have you a new catch phrase and you will say it often, "this sucks". About everything. And when you meet all the yankees andl mid westerners that came here and think you should do it their way, you will learn a whole new vocabulary.
    I'm not from charleston at all, but I have spent a lot of time in the town. My wife is very excited, I told her the exact same thing you told me. She just told me to work harder.
    Last edited by duckz; 04-19-2021 at 09:06 AM.

Advice: WE FULL!

You don't need to worry about going offshore. It is the wakes in the ditch that will be the end of your back.

As long as you have a trolling motor, you have all you need for inshore.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

How bad is the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    As long as you have a trolling motor, you have all you need for inshore.
    That was my thought. Get a small 12v wireless spot lock minnkota and I should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    How bad is the floor?
    You can walk on it but there are two large soft spots. One by the bow storage and one by the rear bench. I have hydroturf on it so it’s masking some of the flex. If I kept it, I would have it redone correctly and not have to worry about where I step.