Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Field dressing turkeys

Default Field dressing turkeys

Do any of you field dress your turkeys? What about those of you who try to sneak in a hunt before work. Do you think just pulling the bird in a cooler with ice would be fine until you got back home that evening?

You hit one with your truck on the way to work didn’t ya?

When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Throw it in the cooler on ice and clean it when you get home

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Do any of you field dress your turkeys? What about those of you who try to sneak in a hunt before work. Do you think just pulling the bird in a cooler with ice would be fine until you got back home that evening?
    Yes it would be fine.

Personally I just breast the bird out and take the legs as well. Can get both of these off in less than 5 min without gutting the bird and also staying clean for work

dont forget the second best part:

rocks.jpg
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Lentil soup?
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Turkey rocks. From the gizzard. I save and pack the gizzard in with the leg quarters and use it all for stock in soups and will also make a purleau.

I have an old Mason jar with all the rocks I've collected in it. Started my son out on one too.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I didnt know turkeys liked eating three bean soup.

Mike Waddell has a video out- he breasts' a bird out, takes the spurs, beard and fan off in 3 minutes with a pocket knife, a ziplock bag and keeps clean hands- iffen you need instructions. I showed it to my grandsons

I ask about field dressing because the i put the bird I shot in a cooler with 4 bags of ice on it and went to work. I cleaned it going on 10 hours later and the inside of the bird wasn’t cold. It wasn’t hot, but it wasnt cool all the way through either. I’m just curious if it’s safe to eat. Everything I read online says you need to gut them first before storing on ice so bacteria doesn’t grow and cause it to spoil.

Default Field dressing turkeys

Whatever you're doing save the legs and thighs!!! Heavenly !!!!!

Last edited by ccleroy; 04-16-2021 at 12:14 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    I ask about field dressing because the i put the bird I shot in a cooler with 4 bags of ice on it and went to work. I cleaned it going on 10 hours later and the inside of the bird wasn’t cold. It wasn’t hot, but it wasnt cool all the way through either. I’m just curious if it’s safe to eat. Everything I read online says you need to gut them first before storing on ice so bacteria doesn’t grow and cause it to spoil.
    Your turkey is fine.

Breast, legs, thighs are out and in a ziplock in a cooler in under 5 min.

Legs and thighs are where it’s at
    82CA7E19-13A8-42A8-B436-492E6F751EA5.jpg

I'm sad to say that out of all the turkeys I have killed(a few), I've never saved legs or thighs. I just breast'em out. That ^ looks really good. Maybe I'll save them on the next one.
    Last edited by MKW; 04-16-2021 at 04:03 PM.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

I smoked a wild one several years back... left the legs on. They remind me of pheasant legs, they needs to be broken down in the style above.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 04-16-2021 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I smoked a wild one several years back... left the legs on. They remind me of pheasant legs, they needs to be broken down in the style above.
    Yeah, there is some connective shit in there that a yote couldn't digest!
    That said, when you coo it down a pick it apart it is awesome.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Knob, how did you get them thighs and legs so tender? Crock pot? I’ve baked, deep fried, and smoked them and I might as well be gnawing on my loafers.

Brine the legs/thighs 24-48 hrs then do with them as you wish. I smoked a set on the rec tec last week and they were as good as I’ve ever had them. Pulled them @ 160 and they were perfect. Except for those damm tendons.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Just covered it in stock and cooked it low in lecruset till it fell apart. Crock pot would work too.
    931ACAFA-2ABE-44C5-BFD4-9E6ADD540064.jpg