Thread: Trucking/Logistics Business

Default Trucking/Logistics Business

Most of you know I retired about 6 weeks ago, since then I have been working on helping my youngest son into the trucking business. He had been driving for a local company a few years and decided he wanted to go out on his own, with full authority. This has been the biggest regulation cluster I have ever dealt with (it is equal to or worse than trying to get a permit to build a pond on your land from ACoE) bought a truck, purchased the necessary insurance, hired a trucking consultant to help us through the legalities and are still struggling to get approved-SCDMV is a major issue, the consultant got us thru federal pretty well. SC requirements are like trying to find a needle in a haystack for a new company. Any of you guys in this business that might can give some advice also? Our major issue is they want 4 items of documentation confirming business address. We registered the LLC- sent it, title for truck-sent it, not accepting county taxes paid on truck, or insurance address paid on truck. Has no other info, plans to run business from his home address so power bill, taxes, etc are all in his name not LLC. The Consultant said the person we are dealing with in the SCDMV is the worst, said SC has the most ridiculous requirements in relation to all the other states and they knew this DMV employee by name. Trucking is currently a shortage in the country, you would think they would be trying to help. Rant over.

It’s a cluster. From top to bottom, and like you said, NOBODY is even remotely helpful.

PS- If he has a flat bed and a piggyback he can haul as much sod as he wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

If he gets a dump truck in the future he can haul as much stone as he wants.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I know nothing about this. What I will add, is that I could never get SCDMV on the phone with a recent issue. I literally called 100 times and never got through on different days and times. The fastest way I was able to contact them was to send them a tweet. Whoever runs the social media account was on top of it and had someone call me within 20 minutes. My problem was solved without ever having to go in to the DMV. Maybe try that.

If you've got a good consulting company working to get you cleared, that's about as much as you can do. They know how to jump through the hoops.