Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smartest birds

Default Smartest birds

Got dang I think I’ve got the smartest turkeys this side of the Mississippi on my places to hunt. I’ve hunted a total of 11 mornings and finally got my first bird of the season this morning. I’m pretty sure I’ve hunted these turkeys like 6 of the 11 mornings. They came in silent one morning when I called in three Jake’s hammering. I didn’t want to shoot one like that. They saw me, putted, and walked away. Another morning I snuck in too close to them already on the ground and they saw me as I was sitting down at the tree, putted and ran away. This friggin morning takes the cake. They were roosted where they always roost, in creek bottoms. I got set up probably 150-200 yards from them on roost. They are hammering one there own as I get set up. One was gobbling more than the other. When it was good and light, I start calling. They are hammering. I can’t tell if they are on the ground or still in the tree with our rolling hills. After like 20 minutes, I hear wings and look up and a turkey comes flying in like a buzzard from down the bottoms towards me and I think it lands on the ground. I can’t tell because the ground slopes off like 50 yards in front of me. After about a minute or two of silence he hammers. He is right there. He is drumming like hell and he is loud, like I don’t know why I can’t see him loud. I call sparingly and he hammers each time and on his own. After about 15 more minutes, I hear more wings but don’t see anything. Next time I call 2 gobble! They are right there in front of me, I don’t know why I can’t see them. About 30 more minutes go by and I hear wings, look up and a turkey flies over me from a perched position to the tree right behind me. He starts drumming. I’m like wtf???? I sit still like five more minutes and I hear wings, look up, and a big ass gobbler glides down to about 30 yards and I smoke him. The other bird in the tree above me flies off. I fucking called in 2 gobblers flying from tree to tree to get to me. What the fuckkkkk!!!! Dead at 7:35am.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 04-14-2021 at 01:13 PM.

Turkeys aren't smart, just reactive to their environment.

congrats on the bird sounds like a fun morning!
    Last edited by FULLCHOKE; 04-14-2021 at 01:19 PM.

Fuckin’ a, Cotton!
    Last edited by ecwooduck; 04-14-2021 at 01:17 PM.
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Damn, sounds like a great morning.

Anybody else had a gobbler fly in off the roost tree and land in a tree near you after you been calling. They flew 150-200 yards from their roost trees to right in front of me and when the first one hit the ground I rolled him. I could have shot him like a cupped up gadwall. Damn birds were on fire! He didn’t fly down until 7:35am. An hour after regular fly down.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 04-14-2021 at 03:14 PM.

Do you have a lot of coyotes in the area?
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    Do you have a lot of coyotes in the area?
    Yep.

That sounds like a wild morning for sure !
    " You can't catch the Rona if you already the Illest " - J ROC

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Yep.
    There ya go.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ecwooduck View Post
    Fuckin’ a, Cotton!

Yes it’s called a limb whoopin

Once he leaves his roost tree, it’s all fair game. Tree Hoppers should be eliminated from the jean poll as often as possible.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Once he leaves his roost tree, it’s all fair game. Tree Hoppers should be eliminated from the jean poll as often as possible.
    How often do yall see birds do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Coot_Commander View Post
    How often do yall see birds do this?
    First time in my 20 year hunting career I’ve seen it. I’ve seen plenty of wild quail lite in trees. The old man I rabbit hunt with calls them Mexican birds and says they should be shot on sight. He’s gonna trip out when I tell him about this Mexican gobbler I shot!

I had it happen a few years back. Very frustrating, I gave a lot of thought to rolling his ass off of the limb.

I had 2 this morning at 100 yards into private (I was on public) trying to bust through a welded wire fence to get to me. They were ramming the damn fence like 2 boar hogs caught in a trap! They aren’t that smart, at least with pussy on the brain. Every cut I made was cut off by about 5 or 6 consecutive gobbles per bird followed by then trying to bust through the fence. Had it been a barb wire fence, I believe I wouldn’t been able to pull them to me. Those were the only gobbles I heard up until 8. I had to be on the road by 9 to get back to work and I’ll be dammed if I didn’t have 3 other birds gobble randomly within 200 yards of me on the walk back to the truck. They sat on the limb/ground silent, not even a shock gobble. I wasn’t ever able to put eyes on any of those n the hour I had left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been discussed on here before. A turkey on the roost is one thing, a turkey flying in to a call and landing in a tree near me is an entirely different game as far as I'm concerned. I don't even consider it a limb-whooping. Had one do me like that and I never considered him landing in a tree. I stared a hole in the ground in front of me for thirty solid minutes because I 'knew' I heard him land in front of me. Finally gave up and started moving and he flew out of tree in front of me.
    Last edited by Kioti; 04-14-2021 at 08:04 PM.

The worst kind is the bastard that sets up shop on a half acre hummock in a flooded branch.. strutting and gobbling surrounded by water. Drumming his hens down to the play pen.. Those are devil birds.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I had one do that that I was calling for my dad. Landed in the pine he was sitting under. My dad wouldn’t shoot him, so I did. Big thud
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Tree hoppers are the worst.