Thread: Kansas mulls limiting OOS hunters

Default Kansas mulls limiting OOS hunters

Increased Pressure on Public Waterfowl Hunting Areas Discussed at Wildlife, Parks and Tourism Commission Meeting

April 13, 2021, 22:05 GMT

PRATT –At the March 25, 2021 public meeting, Kansas Wildlife, Parks and Tourism Commissioners discussed issues raised by Kansas waterfowl hunters about the increase in nonresident waterfowl hunters during the 2020-2021 season. At the request of commissioners, Tom Bidrowski, Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT) migratory gamebird program manager, presented data on the number of resident versus nonresident hunters on public waterfowl hunting areas. According to Kansas Duck State Waterfowl Permit sales, non-residents made up 38 percent of Kansas waterfowl hunters last season – up from 21 percent in 2011. However, that ratio varies, depending on the wildlife area.

Several commissioners pushed for a solution to the problem before the upcoming season. Possible solutions discussed include limiting the number of days non-residents can hunt waterfowl at some Kansas public areas and/or limiting the number of non-residents on such areas via a lottery drawing. The topic will see more discussion at the commission’s April 29 meeting.

Other items of note addressed during the March 25 meeting:

Season dates, limits for 2021-2022 waterfowl seasons.

Bidrowoski presented proposed season dates and limits for upcoming duck and goose seasons. The proposed dates and limits follow a similar framework of recent seasons and go to a vote at the April 29 meeting.

An exception could be the weekend before regular duck seasons open, when youth, people with disabilities, veterans and active military are allowed to hunt. Commissioners discussed changes that could reduce conflicts and ensure youth experience high-quality hunts.

https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/5385...ission-meeting

I can’t wait to see this thread develop. As well as future threads on states that follow the path of limiting OOS waterfowl hunting.

A few predictions:

There will be mass opposition by members who have for decades posted threads:

“Smoked em in Kansas”
    “Crushed em in NoDak”
    “Me and my boys in Oklahoma”
    “Green heads down in Nebraska.”

You dumbasses felt the need to flaunt your hunting prowess for 2 decades are now reaping what you’ve sown.

I don’t blame the states one bit. I wouldn’t want a mass influx of people every winter to my hunting grounds either.”
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Like I tell every dirt neck in every OOS town I’ve been in - if we can’t come kill your critters, you can’t come enjoy our beaches.

ETA: I hunt Kansas for cedar goats. Those folks aren’t dirt necks and I feel like KWPT does a good job not whoring out the resource. Kudos to them for not letting a problem fester and try to devise a solution before it’s too late.
    Last edited by wiz18; 04-14-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Do I just need a KS PO Box and one bill sent to that address to get residency?

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I can’t wait to see this thread develop. As well as future threads on states that follow the path of limiting OOS waterfowl hunting.

A few predictions:

“Smoked em in Kansas”
    “Crushed em in NoDak”

You dumbasses felt the need to flaunt your hunting prowess for 2 decades are now reaping what you’ve sown.

I don’t blame the states one bit. I wouldn’t want a mass influx of people every winter to my hunting grounds either.”
    Spot fucking on
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Like I tell every dirt neck in every OOS town I’ve been in - if we can’t come kill your critters, you can’t come enjoy our beaches.

ETA: I hunt Kansas for cedar goats. Those folks aren’t dirt necks and I feel like KWPT does a good job not whoring out the resource. Kudos to them for not letting a problem fester and try to devise a solution before it’s too late.
    Remember when Kansas didn’t allow any OOSers to hunt their cedar goats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Do I just need a KS PO Box and one bill sent to that address to get residency?
    No. You have to own and be paying taxes on a certain amount of acerage (I believe it’s 81ac+) if you are holding a drivers license in another state. They know better than that.
    Last edited by wiz18; 04-14-2021 at 08:54 PM.

A few predictions:

“Smoked em in Kansas”
    “Crushed em in NoDak”

I have become friends with a guy from Kansas. Have hunted with him some....he has some great private ground. The reason he has stated private ground is this exact issue. He and I discussed the fact this issue would be discussed this year a couple of months ago. He said all the locals are fed up. They have good reason. He told me this year, up until 5 years ago he hunted a large public area which produced consistently. The reason he stopped is he saw this coming. He now hunts only private. One of the best public areas in North America is less than 2 miles from his house. That is where he used to hunt. He said he drove through twice this year just to see how bad it was now. One of those mornings he said he counted 47 vehicles and only 2 had Kansas plates. I hunted this public area this year and the first day we got there mid morning. The first parking area any more than 2 trucks is crowded. When we drove by there were 5. The plates were Michigan, Pennsylvania, Utah, New Mexico and you guessed it 1 from Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Timber View Post
    I have become friends with a guy from Kansas. Have hunted with him some....he has some great private ground. The reason he has stated private ground is this exact issue. He and I discussed the fact this issue would be discussed this year a couple of months ago. He said all the locals are fed up. They have good reason. He told me this year, up until 5 years ago he hunted a large public area which produced consistently. The reason he stopped is he saw this coming. He now hunts only private. One of the best public areas in North America is less than 2 miles from his house. That is where he used to hunt. He said he drove through twice this year just to see how bad it was now. One of those mornings he said he counted 47 vehicles and only 2 had Kansas plates. I hunted this public area this year and the first day we got there mid morning. The first parking area any more than 2 trucks is crowded. When we drove by there were 5. The plates were Michigan, Pennsylvania, Utah, New Mexico and you guessed it 1 from Kansas.

What is different with that vs a guy living in NC/SC who can’t go enjoy an uncrowded beach from memorial - Labor Day? Seasonal tourism is seasonal tourism. At least with hunters you aren’t attracting the socks with sandals crowd.

A few predictions:

“Smoked em in Kansas”
    “Crushed em in NoDak”

Agreed one of the main reason i try to keep my surfing/hunting hole quiet. My cousins are learning they hard way down there.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

1. Migratory...don’t belong to anyone

and

B. KS officials are not contemplating this move because they realized there was a problem by reading “I killed em in Kansas” interned threads.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

If you’re too stupid to wrap your head around the concept that duck hunting is a plague sweeping east to west and wildlife officials are taking notice (albeit too late) than you are not worth discussing the topic with.

This problem has gotten out of hand.

Money is powerful, and duck hunting has sadly become money.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.