Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .25-06

Default .25-06

I’m wanting to put together a .25-06. I’d like to keep it at $2000 or thereabout. I want a wood gun I can shoot for the rest of my life.

What does the brain trust recommend? Rifle and glass...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Definitely suppressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Griffin can put together something really nice.

Not in that price range.

You lost me on the wood, but I would go with the highest model of Swarovski glass I could afford. If you're not planning on shooting long range the rifle build will not matter that much. I'd spend most of the budget on glass and get a factory built rifle that struck my fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    You lost me on the wood, but I would go with the highest model of Swarovski glass I could afford. If you're not planning on shooting long range the rifle build will not matter that much. I'd spend most of the budget on glass and get a factory built rifle that struck my fancy.
    That sounds about right, my terminology is off a little. More or less just want a quality rifle off the shelf and some good glass
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

If you have a donor action you can do it for that. I’m waiting on one to be finished. 700 action trued, switching trigger to Trigger Tech, installing a #3 Bartlein barrel, putting it in an HS Precision ADL stock. Pure hunting rifle no tacticool bullshit. Steve Roe at Apache Custom in N Wilkesboro NC is doing it.
    I had the action.
    I bought the barrel from Grizzly Machine for $350
    I bought the Trigger Tech Special from Red Hawk Rifles on sale for 159.00
    I bought the HS stock on sale for $300
    He’s charging me $1300 to true the action, install and chamber the barrel, Cerakote the metal, and bed the stock. I’ve got a couple of his rifles and I’d put them up against anybody’s work.
    Glass not included.
    Last edited by FLS; 04-12-2021 at 07:08 AM.

I did the exact same search in 2015......

Bought a Tikka Stainless 25-06...dropped it in a aftermarket stock...and put a Swaro on it......it is deadly.

Buy a Sako, buy a scope but get a bigger budget. Or buy a Tikka, buy a scope but get a bigger budget. Or buy a Cooper, save some more money and get a scope later.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Buy a box of Core Lokts and a gun to shoot em.

I love a gun with a real wood stock. If I ever get a big bore (.338 or larger) I'll get one in stainless and composite so I can use it anywhere (Alaska, actually). For a .25-06 why not get a nice oil-finished stock and blued steel? That being said, LR's walnut and stainless .30-06 gets more second glances and questions than any other $500 rifle on the market...in the middle in the picture.

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

What weight rifle are you looking for it to be? For barrels I would stay with Bartlein or Kreiger. Contour depends on your weight parameters. For an action, stay with a Model 700 or one of the clones. Lots of stock options out there. Just make sure it is properly bedded......i.e. pillar bedded in Marine-Tex. A wood stock can be very pretty but you can have some movement with it. Call Ronnie Long of Long Rifles. He was one of the best Machinist at SRS. He builds some of the top HBR rifles in the country.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

My .25-06 is a browning x-bolt. Others will tell you there are better rifles out there and I don’t disagree but I’ve been 100% pleased with mine. With the exception of a muzzle brake mine is straight factory. Admittedly, a brake is an odd thing on a .25 caliber rifle but there was an undeniable difference in increased accuracy afterwards. The gun went from 3 shots in an inch at 100yds to putting 3 bullets in the same hole at 100yds. Hornady has been my go-to ammunition and I’ve had just as much success with the American whitetail ammo as the SST (both are 117gr and group identical)

Mine is due for a glass upgrade in a year or so. I bought a new Henry single shot .308 3yrs ago and have better glass on it but it will never the replace the quarter bore, I’ve had much better success with it and most shots are DRT. I understand 100% that shot placement is more critical to DRT shots than caliber but having confidence in your rifle is a factor in making that shot placement
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Where's Glenn
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Where's Glenn
    Probably checking his Yelp reviews
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I saw “25-06” and “Yelp reviews” and KNEW this was about Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    My .25-06 is a browning x-bolt. Others will tell you there are better rifles out there and I don’t disagree but I’ve been 100% pleased with mine. With the exception of a muzzle brake mine is straight factory. Admittedly, a brake is an odd thing on a .25 caliber rifle but there was an undeniable difference in increased accuracy afterwards. The gun went from 3 shots in an inch at 100yds to putting 3 bullets in the same hole at 100yds. Hornady has been my go-to ammunition and I’ve had just as much success with the American whitetail ammo as the SST (both are 117gr and group identical)

Mine is due for a glass upgrade in a year or so. I bought a new Henry single shot .308 3yrs ago and have better glass on it but it will never the replace the quarter bore, I’ve had much better success with it and most shots are DRT. I understand 100% that shot placement is more critical to DRT shots than caliber but having confidence in your rifle is a factor in making that shot placement
    The brake removed the recoil and now you don’t flinch in anticipation. It’s understandable considering you shoot thousands of .22 rounds a year, so when you shoot a big boy gun you get a little nervous. Italics

Quote Originally Posted by jwterry3 View Post
    I did the exact same search in 2015......

Bought a Tikka Stainless 25-06...dropped it in a aftermarket stock...and put a Swaro on it......it is deadly.
    See, it works

Thanks for the replies, lots of good info in here. I appreciate the responses everyone